Buffalo Bone

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I was camped near Red Lodge, Montana, and took a side trip down to Cody to the Buffalo Bill Museum, and on display were some buffalo bones with cut marks on them, showing that the animal had been butchered for meat. Back at camp, a fellow had been digging a buffalo jump on a friends ranch, and he had bones and teeth for sale. I checked his bones with my newly gained knowledge, found cut marks just like at the museum and bought the bone for my collection. I think it's interesting, and I don't know if the cuts were with stone tools or a steel knife, but simply because the cuts are so fine, I'm opting for them being made by a trade knife, which would date the bone to the early 1800's. buff bone1.jpg buff boneA.jpg

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool to see a jump off site. I have seen marks sharper than trade knifes on bone, Larson has a couple tons of butchered buffalo bone. Might see what his Mandan site shows.. Thanks Bosnmate.

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't underestimate the precision of flint some hopewell bladelets were as sharp as surgeons knives today........

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
at the site twitko and i maintain we can date the scapula shovels and hoes by looking at how the ribs on the back side were removed......
......some w/stone and some w/steel knives
must have been thousands of buffalo

i like your piece mr bosnmate, it's cool

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting post BosnMate. Your bone looks like a thoracic vertebrae.
Did the digger mention what type of points he was finding to help give
you an idea of the site's age?

No, and I didn't think to ask, I'd just returned from Cody, and was tickled to ad to my collection with my new found knowledge.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just thought this would be a good spot to add some butcher marked deer leg bone from a middle archaic site ... I'm not sure how much will be visible in the photos... but some of the cut marks look like they could have been done with a razor blade.

ForumRunner_20121223_112425.png

ForumRunner_20121223_112750.png

Last edited:

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Very cool to see a jump off site. I have seen marks sharper than trade knifes on bone, Larson has a couple tons of butchered buffalo bone. Might see what his Mandan site shows.. Thanks Bosnmate.

I suspect that different sorts of stone tools were used for different butchering purposes. For example cutting through the tendons of leg muscles might require a more substantial tool than carving a loin roast. Here's an example of cuts made through tendons near a joint.
tapirradiuscutsA.JPG tapirradiuscutsB.JPG

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I suspect that different sorts of stone tools were used for different butchering purposes. For example cutting through the tendons of leg muscles might require a more substantial tool than carving a loin roast. Here's an example of cuts made through tendons near a joint.

Thanks for this post, I think this is really interesting, and will change my guess from knife to unknown.

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Just thought this would be a good spot to add some butcher marked deer leg bone from a middle archaic site ... I'm not sure how much will be visible in the photos... but some of the cut marks look like they could have been done with a razor blade.

View attachment 715800

View attachment 715802

Thanks for the post, very informative and I've learned something.

Paleopilot

Dec 4, 2012
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 715800

View attachment 715802
Those marks look alot like "gnaw marks", not uncommon to find. Wolves, and other carnivorous predators left a lot of evidence of their voracious appetites.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting!We have two jumps on the adjacent property of ours in Montana(Quite a few in the area)and I have never dug em.Have packed lots of bone home.I will have to look!

Something I found with a Buffalo I killed several years ago with bow and arrow was the Indians likely ran more off cliffs than they shot with archery equipt.I was using modern gear and I will just leave it at that

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nah. Here's some knaw marks for you.
Teeth don't make single cuts.. they are in pairs at the very least PaleoPiolet
ForumRunner_20121223_230445.png

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the bone was the meal

Just beavers and muskrats making dens in trash pits. That was done when the bone was fresh long, long time ago. They get the minerals out. The bone has to be pretty fresh and soft for a gnaw like that. But it was a meal. Kinda like squirrels and mice eating dropped antlers in the spring but these teeth marks are from a large burrowing animal. I thought beaver .

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just beavers and muskrats making dens in trash pits. That was done when the bone was fresh long, long time ago. They get the minerals out. The bone has to be pretty fresh and soft for a gnaw like that. But it was a meal. Kinda like squirrels and mice eating dropped antlers in the spring but these teeth marks are from a large burrowing animal. I thought beaver .
Do yall have porcupines TN?

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Those marks look alot like "gnaw marks", not uncommon to find. Wolves, and other carnivorous predators left a lot of evidence of their voracious appetites.

i agree the the bottom image looks like wolf or coyote teeth marks

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida

Fresh bone is not softer than weathered bone. Bone is primarily composed of hydroxyapatite and collagen. Hydroxyapatite is an inorganic compound of calcium, phosphate, and hydroxide which is organized in a crystal latticework that gives bone (and teeth) structural rigidity. It preserves well as a fossil under some conditions.

Collagen is a fiberous protein that serves as connective tissue in bones and muscles. It does not preserve well. The collagen decomposes in a relatively short time, leaving behind the more resistant hydroxyapatite -- the minerals which the rodents are seeking.

(My guess is that vegetarians like porcupines, beavers, and muskrats would prefer weathered bone because that bone would contain no animal protein. But, that's just my guess.)

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have fun y'all.. hope you figure it out..haha

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread