Cap Stone

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I know this stone is naturally occurring, and in fact the photo of the first one came either out of the creek behind the house, or out of the river, or possibly over at the coast, I don't remember which, but the hole was eroded by nature. I think the other one was also formed by nature and the lucky Indian used it for a cap stone for a bow drill. I say this simply because it was found in conjunction with other artifacts, and the hole in in the stone is blackened with charcoal from making perhaps hundreds of fires or drilling beads, or what ever else they might need to drill holes in. Anyhow your thoughts are welcome. fire rock1.jpg This one the hole is naturally formed but was never used. fire rock.jpg Note the blackened hole in this one, which was no doubt naturally formed like the previous one. And finally here they are, both together. fire rock2.jpg

Upvote 0

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
could it be that they were both made that way (not natural) and one just not used much .....? because i just dont see them as natural erosion, just by the vibe im getting from them...? its ok to be a hippie here right?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I have seen where they used a stone on each end one against the chest the other on the ground bent over for pressure. Is this correct Bosnmate?

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
could it be that they were both made that way (not natural) and one just not used much .....? because i just dont see them as natural erosion, just by the vibe im getting from them...? its ok to be a hippie here right?

It's natural, I've seen quite a lot of stones like this, some with several eroded holes in them, along with eroded holes in bedrock that aren't located with artifacts, they are found at the beach or along the edge of a river or creek. Most of them wouldn't be suitable for a cap stone, being too large or the hole off center etc. I think the Indian got lucky.

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
It's natural, I've seen quite a lot of stones like this, some with several eroded holes in them, along with eroded holes in bedrock that aren't located with artifacts, they are found at the beach or along the edge of a river or creek. Most of them wouldn't be suitable for a cap stone, being too large or the hole off center etc. I think the Indian got lucky.

probably did ...cool pcs :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey I have seen where they used a stone on each end one against the chest the other on the ground bent over for pressure. Is this correct Bosnmate?

I don't know, but if they are making a fire they use a hearth board and get a coal. If they use a stone on the bottom something would have to be in the hole that would heat up enough to form a coal. Depending on the guy doing the fire, depends on the way he does the pressure. Jim Riggs can make a hand drill fire, the only down pressure is with his hands, but using the bow drill he does lots of down pressure using his weight.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are so interesting. Could it be possible that instead of being used as a fire starter, but possibly used as a drill?

P.S. Awesome finds! Just imagine all those stones that I would have to turn over to find one of those beauties.

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
who is jim riggs ?

Jim calls himself an applied anthropologist, he studies stone age people by actually living the part. Brain tans buckskin, flakes points, builds arrows. According to him, there are reproductions and replicas. A reproduction arrow would be made only with primitive tools used in the stone age. Replicas are made using modern tools. Jim makes reproductions. He can start a fire in nothing flat using a hand drill, and I can use the same material, only put it in a drill press, and can't even get smoke, let alone a coal.

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Jim sounds like the man tell him i said hey...:laughing7:

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Think of the years of Chinese water torture these rocks went through. Man certainly left his mark on the used stone. This is the example that I have needed to see for so so so long. You just lifted a ton off of my shoulders. You probably do not understand what I mean by this. Dig through some of my old post, then you will understand.

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Think of the years of Chinese water torture these rocks went through. Man certainly left his mark on the used stone. This is the example that I have needed to see for so so so long. You just lifted a ton off of my shoulders. You probably do not understand what I mean by this. Dig through some of my old post, then you will understand.

yeah water has left its mark on many a rock and made us think someone else did the erosion

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread