old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Herewith are some aquired artifacts from Alaska. #1. (top), is what appears to be for sewing. #2. (next one down), is an ivory awl. #3, (Lower left) Unknown? #4. (lower right), Seal tooth pendant.

Now if anyone has any idea what #3. is, your help is much appreciated. Thanks for viewing!

folder 3 001.JPG folder 3 002.JPG

Click on attachment for a closer view.

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Alaskan artifacts Old Digger. I really like all the Bone and Ivory pieces from up there.

Here is my tray of Alaskan artifacts I put together when I was doing my States Collection.

Attachments

• DSC_0026.jpg
    DSC_0026.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 273
  • DSC_0025.jpg
    DSC_0025.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 280
  • DSC_0024.jpg
    DSC_0024.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 259
  • DSC_0023.jpg
    DSC_0023.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 308
  • DSC_0020.jpg
    DSC_0020.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 280
  • DSC_0027.jpg
    DSC_0027.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 276
  • DSC_0028.jpg
    DSC_0028.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 264

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
wow dennis
you sure have a lot of interesting artifacts

Africa? now Alaska?
pretty cool man

i can't figure out why you have only got a few comments that is stuff you don't see very much

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Alaskan artifacts Old Digger. I really like all the Bone and Ivory pieces from up there.

Here is my tray of Alaskan artifacts I put together when I was doing my States Collection.

Thanks for sharing Grim Reaper, I see you even have a slate point and, a slate knife. :icon_thumleft: That is cool!

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any luck on the I.D yet? Great patina on them.

No, But with 130+ views, I was hoping for some more responses. Here are a few more pics.

folder 3 005.JPG folder 3 006.JPG

The stem seems to be more or less square. Maybe it was fashioned this way to keep in a certain direction?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were stone I would guess it being a Bird Stone Bust. But I dont know if they made them in that area.

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Rock! It looks too much like some type of tool. At first I was thinking that it may be part of a sled runner, but I am not so sure on that one. It would be much larger I think.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
No, But with 130+ views, I was hoping for some more responses. Here are a few more pics.

View attachment 727435 View attachment 727436

The stem seems to be more or less square. Maybe it was fashioned this way to keep in a certain direction?

Cool stuff.

Can you please post of picture of the bottom? I'm having some crazy thoughts and don't want to make a complete fool of myself quite yet.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Thanks for the additional photo - I was thinking the bottom would possibly show a great deal of wear. Unfortunately I don't have any idea what to make of that. One thing I think you can say with certainty is that this artifact is part of a compound tool. The square top would only be needed to fit into a socket.

Wish I could help.

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the additional photo - I was thinking the bottom would possibly show a great deal of wear. Unfortunately I don't have any idea what to make of that. One thing I think you can say with certainty is that this artifact is part of a compound tool. The square top would only be needed to fit into a socket.

Wish I could help.

I was thinking the same on the square part, Thanks for your input. :icon_thumleft:

tncreeker

Feb 6, 2011
Maggie Valley, N.C.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think it was a pick axe of some sort. The square end fit into a bone? OK, so I know nothing about Alaskan artifacts, but thats how I see this as a tool.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My two cent is that it is some sort of hide stretcher or moccasin former.........like what they have in modern times to keep shoes formed......:dontknow:......lol...........

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok missed the measurement. Another thought on this though is that it is a weapon. I'm thinking a seal head cracker. Almost makes sense.......Again my two cents:dontknow:......up to 4 cents now......:laughing7:

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
I'll wager a guess--- how a bout a Lip plug or a button. Kind of oblong for lip plug unless intended for cheek. But has the nice post of a button too. My really first guess was sewing awl but those tend to have target holes or grooves to run the needle out. I'm going with lip plug for the cheek, no button with hole broke off, no lip plug... Yeah lip plug. <---I don't think I'm sure.

PEACE

talaska

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Herewith are some aquired artifacts from Alaska. #1. (top), is what appears to be for sewing. #2. (next one down), is an ivory awl. #3, (Lower left) Unknown? #4. (lower right), Seal tooth pendant.

Now if anyone has any idea what #3. is, your help is much appreciated. Thanks for viewing!

View attachment 727113 View attachment 727114

Click on attachment for a closer view.

Item # 3 is an Eskimo atlatl (spear thrower) ivory spur. It would have been inset into the end of the wooden atlatl and hooks into the back of the spear (dart) to launch it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions