Never before

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
I've been hunting native American artifacts my whole life. I can honestly say that I have never personally sold one nor bought any. Which i think is why im fortuneate to find the stuff I do. Recently I stopped by a place in northwest Georgia which is where I'm from. While exploring I notice a rock the size of a 2 story house and decided to check out the view from atop of it. On the way something caught my attention. I noticed very faint carvings on the side of another rock and immediately recognized them as being associated with several Indian drawings I have studied in the past. After a few pics I made my way to the massive rock and when I walked on top to the edge I immediately noticed something sticking out of the surface. In disbelief, my initial thought was "is that a cowboy hat?). Second thought was (it looks like a tank hatch.) But after wiping away the leaves and debris I realized I had found an awesome petroglyph. As I said earlier I'm from the area and no one I asked had ever heard about nor seen this before. The face is facing an eastwardly direction and to the left of it appears to be 3 objects carved also. The far left line appears to be a mace. The middle line is possibly an arrow with a bow next to it. All the items are relief carvings. under the chin is a hollowed out are that goes finger length and stops. As far as I know I am the first to discover this amazing creation.

Attachments

• 20240211_091053.jpg
    20240211_091053.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 132
  • 20240211_091104.jpg
    20240211_091104.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 128
  • 20240211_091033.jpg
    20240211_091033.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 129
  • 20240213_184303.jpg
    20240213_184303.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 125
  • 20240213_185156.jpg
    20240213_185156.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 100
  • 20240213_185444.jpg
    20240213_185444.jpg
    930.1 KB · Views: 106
Upvote 8

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
It could have been a soapstone bowl preform that wasn’t removed. But other than that possibility it looks natural to me. I’ve been out a long time myself and have never seen anything carved on the rocks. I always look but have never seen any.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Digginitdaily

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
It could have been a soapstone bowl preform that wasn’t removed. But other than that possibly it looks natural to me. I’ve been out a long time myself and have never seen anything carved on the rocks. I always look but have never seen any.
It's not the right material for bowl usage. But the bow string goes around the outside of it to the right. Almost as if it's sitting on a giant pedestal

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad it’s a face, there is a stigma associated with seeing faces in artifacts or rock outcrops like that Unless the face is so well defined it could say hello some people will say it’s your imagination. There is a vocal minority, including some with advanced degrees in related fields, that believe the faces are intentional.

OP
OP
Digginitdaily

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
As with anything in life there will always be skeptical people. With that being said, I know as a fact that it was a place used by the natives. I have found a few points and blades in in shelters that are close in proximity to the carvings. I'm fairly certain though not 100 percent sure that I've also located the burial ground used by them. It happens to be nearby as well.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
very few in your area are going to be completely unknown.... send pix to the local big university with an archelogy dept. They may know of it or at least be interested in it, and can tell you more. A lot of sites (there are so, so many) are documented and left alone. Keep the curious away. In any case it just goes to show... at least someone else had the same idea to climb a rock.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very few in your area are going to be completely unknown.... send pix to the local big university with an archelogy dept. They may know of it or at least be interested in it, and can tell you more. A lot of sites (there are so, so many) are documented and left alone. Keep the curious away. In any case it just goes to show... at least someone else had the same idea to climb a rock.
Yes the previous guy threw his chew can on the ground. We seem to be drawn to the same geographical areas despite our differences.

OP
OP
Digginitdaily

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
Yes the previous guy threw his chew can on the ground. We seem to be drawn to the same geographical areas despite our differences.
You know. . When I think about how random some of the coolest artifacts are that I've found, it's usually while I'm just explorer with no intent on finding anything at all . I see a spot and I'm like " that looks cool imma check it out" then bam! So I definitely can buy that idea. Different culture yet same principles of necessity, food, water and shelter.

OP
OP
Digginitdaily

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
I was wondering if you could share some of your other artifacts you have found Daily? It could have slipped my mind but I can’t remember seeing any. Thanks
I did find one post you made on a possible Pestle. Is this the artifacts you are finding?
I haven't really posted any native stuff. I should though. But I can add a few.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks natural to me.

I see no reasoning why a native American would create an image in large boulder and leave it.
We’ll wait a minute. Your last statement doesn’t really make sense. Clearly NA’s spent time creating petroglyphs and pictographs. I’m not saying that is what is shown, but I’m aware of a local large boulder with bear paws carved into it. Not only was it left behind, it was purposively buried. Many other places where NA’s would leave their mark or tell a story through modification of stone (either via. carving, scraping, pecking, or painting).

With that said..

OP
OP
Digginitdaily

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
The same reason they leave cave drawings in New Mexico. When a person has nothing but time, you'd be surprised by what they can and will do . Dogface...I see what you're doing, do not troll my page, thanks

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1444.jpeg

I know I’ve seen better boulder art posted before but here is one from my site. Natural? Could be but I don’t think so. Someone posted an awesome wolf once I’d love too see again.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread