Identification/Typing Help

Alnitak

Nov 20, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
I'm new to TNet, and was interested to find this forum here. I have two points that I found in Pennsylvania back when I grew up there (15 years ago). The one on the left was found in Berks County, which is in southeastern PA. I found it at my parents house, which was built near a spring in 1734. The old farmer that still lived in part of the house had found lots of points and other tools, like axes, etc. I believe the point is a late archaic early woodland spearpoint. It's quartzite and is about 4" long.

The one on the right was found in Lancaster County in the upper northeastern part of the county in the Welsh Mountain area. I was out for a hike after a huge thunderstorm, and lying right in the sand on the path was this beautiful white quartz arrowhead. I have never really tried to figure out its age/affinity.

Any help would be appreciated!

Jeff

3108237258_3584f94c71_o.jpg

Upvote 0

SoIll

Oct 6, 2008
Il
I'd say your right on the woodland point. It's probably an Adena. The point on the the right looks like an archaic dart point. I don't what you would call it though.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, Welcome to T-net. The first point is far too long at the base to be an 'Adena'. It's a 'Poplar Island' & the smaller point is indeed an 'Halifax' (VA-Type) Quartz. Both are Middle Archaic. Definetly not Woodland.
Hope this helps.

Molly.

OP
OP
Alnitak

Alnitak

Nov 20, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Molly said:
First of all, Welcome to T-net. The first point is far too long at the base to be an 'Adena'. It's a 'Poplar Island' & the smaller point is indeed an 'Halifax' (VA-Type) Quartz. Both are Middle Archaic. Definetly not Woodland.
Hope this helps.

Molly.

Thanks, Molly. Looking on the web, it seems like the smaller quartz point could also be a Susquehanna Broad point. Given where it was found that seems a bit more likely than a Halifax point, doesn't it?

I wish I had searched more when I lived out east. I grew up in town that had been the site of a large Lenni-Lenape village, and we often found pieces of points laying in the fields, although I don't have any of them. These two I found while I was in college, so I kept them. Now I live in LA; not exactly the best place to find these :(.

Jeff

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dissagree on the Susquehanna Broad point, that Halifax is a replica to what I find. You see you are boarding VA, I am too in NC, I find VA types all the time. I am looking at that type, I see no resemblance at all. But thats just My opinion dear. ;D
However a nice find, I like Quartz points.

Molly. :)

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got me thinking now..lol, I am going to study them a little more, all part of learning.. I'll let you know what I think, not as though it matters I am still learning too.

Molly.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After speaking to a long time collector, he agrees the quartz point is indeed a Halifax (VA Type).

Molly.

OP
OP
Alnitak

Alnitak

Nov 20, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Molly said:
After speaking to a long time collector, he agrees the quartz point is indeed a Halifax (VA Type).

Molly.

Thanks. Do you have some links to pictures or data on these types of points? I would like to learn more.

Jeff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread