gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
My buddy also has this nice stone axe head, he would like a ballpark value for insurance purposes. Any info will be appreciated. He also has this large beautifully made point. Thanks to all...

Attachments

• 0704 029.jpg
    0704 029.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 7,903
  • 0704 030.jpg
    0704 030.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 26,039
  • 0704 028.jpg
    0704 028.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 5,737
Upvote 0

BeachBum2U

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2013
SE Arizona
Detector(s) used
Don't know but I think I need a better one!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NC field hunter, thanks so much for your reply it's very helpful! I forgot to refresh this page didn't realize a reply had been posted until now. If you don't mind my asking a couple more things please; any idea what kind of stone? since it was found close to the San Pedro River in Cochise County where Archaic Hohokum once lived and farmed, possible this can be connected to that tribe or society? One other thing on a side note; my neighbor that owns this is on a fixed income, he asked me to sell for him so my question would be, is this worthy to sell, I thought of posting on my eBay for him?

Measured best I could length is tip of chipped blade to end of poll: 6 1/2" Length X 3" Width X 2" Depth X 7/8" Wide Groove X approx. 1/4" Deep Groove and weighs approx. 2 1/2 lbs.
Thanks for your time and expertise!

This looks to be a 4/4 grooved axe. You are correct, mid archaic. The pics will not allow me to answer much about the business ends of this piece. Looks to me that the bit was damaged beyond resharpening, although, they tried. Instead of discarding the tool, it looks like they kept it for the poll end. The poll seems to have more than normal wear on it. That is my guess, based on what I see.

Last edited:

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I think this is a granite axe head. "Think" being the key word here. As for association with a tribe, I can't say. I always ask tribal members around here about pieces such as your axe, and they give no definite answer. What I draw from them is this... Tribes were much more modern than archaic or paleo. These tribes are pretty well documented, making them of historic times. The maker of that axe is unknown, prehistoric, nomads. In all likely hood, my answer is yes, the axe was made by descendants of the tribes you mentioned. However, proof Lyes in documentation, which doesn't exist. Tribes were formed, in my area, years after the nomadic life style has ended. A piece of ground could be directly associated with a group of people. Archaic people roamed with the changing seasons, leaving their existence scattered over many miles of traveled ground. As for a price, their is one. I'm not a fan of buying/selling but a man must eat, I do understand. The value of this piece will not enhance ones standard of living. It would possibly fill the cabinets with food one good time. My guess us a couple hundred bucks. E-bay seems to be a joke among the guys that buy and sell artifacts. If I had to sell a piece from my collection, I'd accept no less than top dollar. E-bay will probably bring you more than likely a dollar amount near the bottom of the pendulum. Good luck, and really reconsider selling. Times are tough and can get tougher. Study the construction of the axe, as we may need these primitive technologies again!

BeachBum2U

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2013
SE Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, thank you so much for all your time in answering my many questions, I do appreciate it! Your response has shed a lot of light on my thoughts and the research I have done.
I agree too about selling, too bad my neighbor can't hang onto it. Yes, eBay will be a loss but I am not connected with any other selling/buying venue for artifacts.
Thanks so much!

Last edited:

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
welcome to tnet beachbum

selling it here should go to the classifieds
give some thought to becoming a charter member and posting it there

larson1951

BeachBum2U

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2013
SE Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will do larson thanks for the heads up, I didn't know.

welcome to tnet beachbum

selling it here should go to the classifieds
give some thought to becoming a charter member and posting it there

larson1951

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would give a ballpark estimate on that artifact around 150-200 dollars.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread