Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm seeing the chip out of it... looks like a glaze finish. I am thinking maybe kinda modern.Lets see what the pros say. All my pottery is the same texture all the way thru. Maybe dorkfish or larson knows your type of western pottery. Thanks for sharing.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks modern to me too. Maybe a tourist item and probably Asian. It looks like the holes go all the way through on the protrusions on the sides and that leads me to believe it may have an incense burner, so why I think it's Asian.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks modern, for sure.

I seem to remember something about people sitting around a beer pot sipping from it with straws. (?)

DreamcatcherNC

Jul 22, 2008
Nice piece. The Cherokee used to use a "4 Winds Pipe" that resembled this piece. Tobacco would be placed in the center and reed stems would go in each of the four protrusions. Rather than glaze, this piece appears to be stone burnished. Burnishing will move all of the temper, etc further down in the clay and give the surface a clear, shiny appearance.
Just my opinion - for what it's worth. Not saying it's authentic or a reproduction.

OP
OP
gleaner1

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks DreamcatcherNC, this piece is in fact burnished. The piece has been in the family since 1900 or so. My first gut reaction was that it was a smoking piece. Any more opinions? We appreciate any comments from all, thanks, gleaner1.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does not seem to be used. Even my pots all still fire scorched from long ago. What Cherokees are you thinking? They were a recent addition in time to the south east though that is where they made their greatest evolutionary jump out of the stone age ( alphabet,politics). Neat smoking bowl. Would like to see other examples.

DreamcatcherNC

Jul 22, 2008
TNmountains. I don't know what period of Cherokee I'm speaking of. The owner of Bearmeat's Indian Den in Cherokee showed me one of the old 4-stem bowl pipes and asked me to replicate.

OP
OP
gleaner1

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks to all for your help. The gentleman that owned the pot was a doctor in the Civil War. He settled in Orleans, Indiana and always collected points and native artifacts. He passed in 1920. It is not inconceivable that this is a more western? or modern piece that he added to his collection in his travels. My friend owns it now and I suggested Tnet could help with ID, and we were not disappointed. If more info comes around, my friend would be more than appreciative to hear. My friend never heard of TNET and will be a member soon I'm sure. Best regards, gleaner1.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DreamcatcherNC said:
TNmountains. I don't know what period of Cherokee I'm speaking of. The owner of Bearmeat's Indian Den in Cherokee showed me one of the old 4-stem bowl pipes and asked me to replicate.
Thats cool I would like to see what you replicated for him. Its sad. I can go to the library and search old deeds before the trail of tears and found areas one being Eldridge slough where familys were bought out and sent on the trail of tears. I had found ancient signs of stone age habitation
in Eldridge even though they had contact with modern europeans.They were called Aniyunwiya which means"The principal people" Cherokees is what we called them. Before them the creeks who joined the confideracy before that De Soto named the indians.Mostly we look at types of culture since no written record exist. Like mound builders,woodland,archiac,Paleo and then the ice age hunters of 25,000 years ago.Time lines change all the time.
I am always trying to learn and it makes me sick that I do not know what i should when I see it.
The bowl is a fine piece of art regardless. Looks more western to me. Could also be what we call the Dallas period where the ancients followed the paths of the s.american indians in rituals, sacrifices temple mounds and burials in this area.
Many diarys of the civil war soldiers digging mounds in their spare time. Cool find.
Lets see what else happens.
Regards,
TnMountains

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread