Arizona Finds

kneelingwarrior

May 20, 2009
Photos here. Hi folks. First, I want to say how much fun using this site has been. I have learned from you and have increased my interest immensely! Even though I have read some books, seen some tapes, etc., this TreasureNet thing is awesome!!! It has taken me about 62 years to find an arrowhead. What a joy to get into this now with such a resource! My interest is in Southwestern Indian stuff (no offense), but all of the participants here are a part of a great pasttime and cultural preservation. Thank you. What is represented here are a few of what I have found over the last year. The photos here are from an Arizona site of about 150 Ac. in an area with three low plateaus, a bigone river/lake site that looks to be a seasonal campsite for many different tribes over many, many years, if not centuries. I say this because of the nature of the points and tools (of course many of these tools could have been reused or handed down). I also say this, for some of the arrowheads here are not represented in Overstreet as indigenous to this area. There is an east Texas or Arkansas rep, an Oregon or Great Basin rep and others. Many of the blacks and greys are Arizona. In the first box these seem to be gravers--all distinctive with point and being of substance not generic to the area--some basalt, flints, chalcedony, etc. The large shell-shaped object is a kneeded one, but uncertain of use. All objects shown in all photos have knapping, particularly at the business end opposite a natural grip. I always have to remind myself that these Indians were [size=9pt]diminutive in stature and hand size. The third photo shows some what appear to be chisels--notice the beveled tip on two. The upper triangular ones are Uniface. Let me know about the others--some seem to be knives/tools. In the fourth photo the left half are biface with one end broken off--? The others are flint with sharpened/knapped edges. Some cool tools, it seems. What do you think? Found in the same area was this stone--looks like a giant arrow straightener and crusher. The last photo shows some incredibly similarly-shaped and knapped objects that I think are knives--need more ideas. Also, forgot to add that I found a quartz piece, biface, relatively flat, round and knapped--disk-shaped. Overstreet shows it from Mexico! ENJOY. I'm learning about using font size here--getting weird results. Sincerely, KW

Attachments

• box17.jpg
    box17.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 541
  • box18.jpg
    box18.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 521
  • box19.jpg
    box19.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 466
  • box100.jpg
    box100.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 458
  • Box110.jpg
    Box110.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 487
  • box120.jpg
    box120.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 496
Upvote 0

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff brother. Keep on hunting and post em here for us all to enjoy :icon_thumleft:

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Super stuff, KW. Just outstanding !

Picture 1 has, as I think you noted, a lot of graver spurs in it. In the third vertical row from left, the one below the black piece is a limace, and probably paleo.

In picture 3 the interesting ones (to me) are the three retouched blades in the lower right quarter. There are probably pretty early. The black one above them (obsidian ?) might be later, or might not be.

In picture four, the bottom two in the left vertical row are almost certainly paleo spurred endscrapers.

In picture six, bottom row, second from left is another nice retouched blade.

Americus

Silver Member
Sep 18, 2008
Nice finds. It is always interesting to see artifacts from other parts of the country. Thanks for sharing.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And to think you have found all this in a year. That is great. You have started a cool collection and am sure it will grow in the years to come. Great finds and write up.
Regards,
TnMtns

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread