Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok folks.... I may seem over excited about this find but hear me out. First..... you must believe me when I tell you how this went down because I swear this on everything sacred... this is the exact truth.
Today was about as stressful as a work day can be, and I was pretty down about it. I went home, in spite of the heat and humidity, gathered Charlie up for his daily swim in the river and headed out. As I approached the bank, I said these exact words to the spirits of the ancient ones who once lived, camped, fished and hunted on this very ground. "My brothers.... I pray to you for something big and something beautiful." Those exact words! As the last L rolled off of my tongue, I looked down and WHAT THE FRANK?!!! :o You can see in the first photo what I saw, because I did not move an inch. I grabbed my cell phone and took that photo.

Now... why the big deal.... beyond my belief that they granted this find to me... along with other awesome ones? well.... for anyone who understands Indian points in the Northern Virginia area..... you will agree that this is a very rare find. The thing is, in this area of the state and in particular at the site that I hunt, we just don't have the material that you folks in other areas have. Many of our points are simply quartzite, slate and in rare cases, beautiful quartz. I am not sure of this material but it I have not found a point made from it in the two years that I have hunted here. The other thing is that this one is pretty big for my area and after seeing so many Big and Beautiful points on this site, I just never thought I could find one. Sure the tip and one shoulder are broke but I could NOT be happier!!! ;D ;D ;D It has motivated me to be out at sunup (and its already almost 1:00am) to hit the ground hard. My advice is.... always think good and positive thoughts directed at the people who once lived and died on the land that you hunt. Ask them to help and thank them greatly when you recover an item. Some may scoff but I fully believe in this. of all of my really good points, about 90% were discovered after a prayer request to the ancient ones. Thanks for looking and all comments appreciated... you know the deal. :wink:

Attachments

• big1.jpg
    big1.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 547
  • big2.jpg
    big2.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 571
  • big3.jpg
    big3.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 539
  • big4.jpg
    big4.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 545
  • big5.jpg
    big5.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 545
  • big close.jpg
    big close.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 536
Upvote 0

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
I understand your excitement. Even though I say no prayers to the ancient ones before a hunt, the excitement of a find, imagining what it might have been used for, and how long it has been since human hands touched it is what keeps me looking...even if the point I find is broken.

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
archer66 said:
I understand your excitement. Even though I say no prayers to the ancient ones before a hunt, the excitement of a find, imagining what it might have been used for, and how long it has been since human hands touched it is what keeps me looking...even if the point I find is broken.

Thank you for posting :icon_thumright:

terryo

Aug 13, 2007
north Florida
Detector(s) used
ace 250, 1974 Whites coinmaster 2/d
Nice find Airborne!! Too bad about the tip , thats the way 95% of mine finds turn up....I too say a little prayer when I go, and sometimes even offer a bit of tobacco sprinkled on the ground when I find a good'n...And just how bad can a day be when you're packin the :tongue3:heat like in your avatar?

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
greg-rocks said:
great find!and what a way to end what sounded like a bad day.hanging with your dog and making a great find,it doesnt get much better than that.thx for sharing the pics :thumbsup:

Thanks brother. You got it! It was a perfect way to turn a bad day into a great one.

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
uniface said:
Nice !!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

It looks like it's made of Hixton ! It's a loooong way from home, if so.

I wouldn't discount the possibility.

http://www.lithiccastinglab.com/gallery-pages/hixtongrouphandlarge.htm

Wow! It looks a lot like the 7th from the left in the link that you attached! I had seen (in books) some material from Pennsylvania that I thought it might be, but now you have me wondering. Thats the fun part of this is that the possibilities are many and the answers are few. Its fun to imagine the what ifs. Thanks for your post and the link.

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mistergee said:
good for you.....your eyes finally get a break after 2 yrs of staring at the tiny ones :thumbsup:
you deserve it.hug Charlie for me. :thumbsup:

How true that is haha. Thanks brother. You know... I just got back from another hunt with Charlie and he is worn out! laying next to me in front of a fan hahaha. No luck today except some flakes, a pipe fragment and a painful yellow jacket or bee sting haha.

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
terryo said:
Nice find Airborne!! Too bad about the tip , thats the way 95% of mine finds turn up....I too say a little prayer when I go, and sometimes even offer a bit of tobacco sprinkled on the ground when I find a good'n...And just how bad can a day be when you're packin the :tongue3:heat like in your avatar?

Yea... the tip and shoulder are a bit of a drag but it is sooo rare (for me) and so awesome, I almost dont care to much. I do believe that its probable that positive thoughts, prayers, assurances of respect, permission to find and offerings are received on some level and acted upon from time to time. As for the weapon in the avatar.... hahaha.. yes, that is me when I was a young (18 years old) paratrooper. Wish I still had that M-60 hahah. fun tool for sure. Thanks and stay safe.

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Nice find there Bro.,....I'm even more surprised at the nice pic's ,... ;
your last few have been :icon_thumright: Joel

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
blindpig said:
Nice find there Bro.,....I'm even more surprised at the nice pic's ,... ;
your last few have been :icon_thumright: Joel

Thanks brother.... its pretty well known here that I am NOT a photographer hahaha. Appreciate the kind thoughts.

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Americus said:
Nice find and interesting story. Thanks for sharing.

Appreciate the thoughts. Thank you for checking it out :wink:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with uniface, it sure looks like Hixton Quartz to me too. Even with the damage it is still a nice find.

Congrats on your find and thanks for the pictures.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok that thing looks outrageously BIG. That is a great find. I am like you I dont care if they are broken chipped and clipped I just like finding them. I often think about the tribes that slumber when I hunt and the past lifes attached to the tools. I think they would enjoy you having that.
Nice Airborne. Way to go.
TnMtns

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DorkFish said:
I agree with uniface, it sure looks like Hixton Quartz to me too. Even with the damage it is still a nice find.

Congrats on your find and thanks for the pictures.

Wow..... I am new to the Hixton concept and wonder it Wisconson is the ONLY source? If so and if this is.... that makes it the most interesting find for me yet. Thanks.

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
Ok that thing looks outrageously BIG. That is a great find. I am like you I dont care if they are broken chipped and clipped I just like finding them. I often think about the tribes that slumber when I hunt and the past lifes attached to the tools. I think they would enjoy you having that.
Nice Airborne. Way to go.
TnMtns

Thanks TnM. I do that all of the time. I stare at the flat ground, above the river, where the camps were and imagine the fires, the people working, kids with moms, the whole thing. I appreciate your post.

JUNKYARD DOG

Feb 29, 2008
Mid Mo
Detector(s) used
DFX, COMPASS SCANNER,
Hey Brother I am a believer, I walked about a half mile of creek today, it was beautiful, the creek was nice I seen a big old Beaver who smacked his tail at me for bothering him, had a deer walk right up on me, everything was great EExcept no finds until maybe the last 100 yards before my truck and I new it was almost over for the day, I asked the old ones for one goody before i left and sure enough about 10 yards later I found a big pre form or a snapped hoe or digger I dont know and I dont care cause that was all I needed to make the day perfect. Good luck to you and Charlie. JYD...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread