Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great way for Charlie and i to start off August! We were walking in the pouring rain when we almost stepped on this beauty. Sorry for the cellphone photo but trust me.... in person, there is a nice rose splotch on both sides near the base. I love these quartz points and they are pretty hard to come by.

Attachments

• aug 2 wq2.jpg
    aug 2 wq2.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 546
  • aug 2 wq close.jpg
    aug 2 wq close.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 544
  • aug 2 wq close2.jpg
    aug 2 wq close2.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 551
  • Aug 2 wq1.jpg
    Aug 2 wq1.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 526
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thirty7 said:
Nice find Airborne, I think it's a Southhampton, early archaic 8000-6000 bc, nice early point, good example.

Thank you thirty7. I believe that you are correct on the type. One thing that always puzzles me on older points like this. Having been crafted way before the bow and arrow, these were in fact speer tips. That being so.... I wonder at the size of them in comparison to the shaft. These are kind of small, so the shaft would have to be proportionate. I probably am not making sense hahaha. I guess I find it odd that such small tips were used instead of the larger types that I have found and could easily see them on a spear tip. Thanks again for posting.

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
marty from missouri said:
sweet another great find thanks for sharing and keep hunting and enjoying.

goodluck
marty :icon_sunny:

Thanks Marty. Apprecaited :icon_thumleft:

Bluesy

Jul 27, 2009
Missouri
Very pretty, Airborne! I haven't found any quartz points around here but I sure would like to find one as nice as that one. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
Hey I missed this post ??? Another nice quartz point. I would not think spear but think spear thrower http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlatl
Nice finds and pictures
TnMountains

Thanks brother. The link that you attached was a great read and I learned a lot!!! I appreciate your kind words and that you took the time to attach that link. As usual.... folks on this site (in this case you) have taught me so much. Stay safe.

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bluesy said:
Very pretty, Airborne! I haven't found any quartz points around here but I sure would like to find one as nice as that one. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Bluesy. I find many different types made from many materials but the white quartz is always my favorite.... and the hardest to come by. The ground where I hunt is almost covered in white quartz flakes but finding a whole point is a big thing for me. If they had quartz to work with in your area, keep up the hunt and eventually you will find one. Stay safe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread