Recent finds, Austin, TX
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Apr 2009
    3 times

Recent finds, Austin, TX

Here are a few what-is-its. I think that the pic with the three pieces taken together are spokeshave tools, Let me know what you guys think. All these pieces were found in the same area close to Lake Travis... They are all very similar to one another. I have a leather punch tool, and some scrapers. Nothing really spectacular, but I thought I would share anyway. Haven't posted in a while due to being really buisy at work.. Enjoy..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00606.JPG 
Views:	228 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	318035   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00608.JPG 
Views:	230 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	318036   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00610.JPG 
Views:	231 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	318037   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00613.JPG 
Views:	225 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	318038   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00615.JPG 
Views:	223 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	318039  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00616.JPG 
Views:	224 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	318040   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00628.JPG 
Views:	238 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	318041   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00629.JPG 
Views:	235 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	318042   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00625.JPG 
Views:	234 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	318043   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00626.JPG 
Views:	220 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	318044  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00630.JPG 
Views:	223 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	318045   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00631.JPG 
Views:	217 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	318046  

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Garet carrot Neodymium magnets 5' Probe
    9404 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Re: Recent finds, Austin, TX

Nice tools Abarnard. Wonder where you have been.Lake Travis still way down? Nice looking chopper and scrapers. You find stuff where ever you travel it looks like. Nice . Stay cool.

TnMtns
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

us
    Apr 2009
    3 times

Yep TN, Lake Travis is at record lows. 33' below average lake levels.. what do you think about those three tools that look like spokeshaves Need some opinions on those three, not 100% sure they are spokeshaves, but they were used as tools for sure. I saw your recent post on the river, man nice finds...

us
    Jan 2009
    --------->
    233 times

Nice tools and materials Abarnard, it's hard to tell from just a pic, they may be utilized flake tools/ spokeshave, or simply reduction debitage. The middle one looks like it would make a good guthook. See any edge / usewear on them?
    " Stay frosty, gents "

www.arrowheadtalk.com

us
    Jun 2009
    Central Pennsylvania
    896 times
    Paleoindian-Early Archaic tools

Interesting stuff you're finding down there !
    "[T]o silence a man is to pay him homage, for it is an acknowledgement that his arguments are both impossible to answer and impossible to ignore." -- JBR Yant

"Take heart from Noam Chomsky, who wrote that nothing in the social sciences cannot be understood by the average bus driver in a couple of minutes this is not calculus or physics, after all." -- Ramin Mazaheri

us
    Apr 2009
    3 times

The second pic has use wear on what seems to be a pry-tip of some sort, maybe for wood working or to pry open mussels. They seem to have been used some, b/c the edges where the hooks are located have been dulled and look to have been used. Gut hooks crossed me mind to.. Thanks for the replies.. Oh, that one piece that looks like a drill and is made out of the orange/peach colored chert material I believe was used as a leather punch. Do you, or anyone have similar examples that you can post for me?? Thanks

us
    Apr 2009
    3 times

Uniface, that one piece I found looks like a crude endscraper. It has been used up quite a bit, and resharpened numerous times it looks like..

us
    Jun 2009
    Central Pennsylvania
    896 times
    Paleoindian-Early Archaic tools

Hi Abarnard

From here, your pictures 9/10 look like they could well be of an endscraper, but without being able to see the working edge, I can't say.

Numbers 6 and 11/12 are flake cores.

Cheers & Regards
    "[T]o silence a man is to pay him homage, for it is an acknowledgement that his arguments are both impossible to answer and impossible to ignore." -- JBR Yant

"Take heart from Noam Chomsky, who wrote that nothing in the social sciences cannot be understood by the average bus driver in a couple of minutes this is not calculus or physics, after all." -- Ramin Mazaheri

Sponsored Links