banner finds

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
Not that i am going to see any of my finds in the holy grail above us,but dont you think that in this day and age that any real&serious treasure hunter would always be on stand-by with a camera when out hunting treasure???really what cell phone doesnt have a camera,and most of them actually take good quality pics.To the treasure hunter the insitu is the holy grail of proof or confermation of a find isnt it???with that said i have missed a couple of insintus,but you can be for sure i didnt miss the next one.so what i am asking is" do you have more validation for a great find if there is an insitu pic to go along with it or not??should making banner be accompanied by an insitu to qualify for a banner find???I think so,but that is just my opinion.maybe i have put my foot in my mouth with my accusations but i can say with out a doubt that if i ever found the bucket of gold at the end of the rainbow i would take a pic to make sure everyone could see the end of the rainbow with me.now dont get me wrong my world doesnt revolve around the ticker from above,but it is a good place for us treasure hunters to take pride in our hard earned finds.goodluck hunting everyone.

Upvote 0
F

Flintfinder of Mo.

I dont always have my camera on me. Somedays I forget it, or its a spur of the moment hunt after work, or its raining to hard etc. I would hate for a find to be overlooked becouse I didnt get a insitu pic of it.The insitu is just a plus sometimes. I have joked for years with some of the guys after finding a good one with out the camera...." wonder if I would have found it if I would of had the camera on me" I think we all have done it. To me an insitu is a plus, but doesnt make an artifact authentic. Ever heard of fake insitu shots????? John

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
although insitu Pics are Nice.

I Rarely Take Pics in the field

& Have never taken one of a find insitu

They are Great at times for
Banner Placement But Not Proof
of a find anymore then a pic in a shadow Box is.

Word of the poster is all The proof Needed.

jpitt1970

Jan 5, 2009
Huntsville. Al
Flintfinder of Mo. said:
I dont always have my camera on me. Somedays I forget it, or its a spur of the moment hunt after work, or its raining to hard etc. I would hate for a find to be overlooked becouse I didnt get a insitu pic of it.The insitu is just a plus sometimes. I have joked for years with some of the guys after finding a good one with out the camera...." wonder if I would have found it if I would of had the camera on me" I think we all have done it. To me an insitu is a plus, but doesnt make an artifact authentic. Ever heard of fake insitu shots????? John

I almost never have a camera on me whilst relic hunting because I will go through some nasty terrain and most usually water as well..I even leave the cell phone in the truck, but run back to call & rub it in with my relic hunting buddies & family that opted not to go out when I find something really good.

I agree that an insitu is a nice plus, but it can be faked. Some people will go to alot of trouble to make something appear authentic just to make a buck.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I get so dirty and grundgy when I am out hunting I know I would ruin my camera. Besides it's just one more thing I have to carry all over and if I did find something worth taking an insitu of I would probably get excited and drop the dang thing trying to get it out and take a pic, lol.

HH Charlie

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm this site made me start taking insitus. At least when I hunt now. I know its not required but it sure is fun with the artifacts. :thumbsup:

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
greg
please email me on the back channel and tell me why you would leave

thanks much, larson1951

P

pickaway

As John said insitus can be easily faked. I like to take them for my finds journal.To me this hobby isnt about a contest,thats one thing the ASO does with thier finds contest you get a ribbon and a pic maybe, thats cool if ppl want to do that just not my thing.Ive been at chapter meetings and heard the same story o that person did or did not find the entered artifact.This can be a tuff hobby when it comes to wahts found ppl get jealous have suspicions etc...Anyways the place i want to see my artifact is on my wall in a frame.

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
My phone is an oldy (camera less) and my camera is 10mp Nikon (probably too nice to carry in a dirty sandy pocket). I have taken my camera out in the past, but noticed I was scratching the heck out of the LCD screen. My camera is worth more than anything I am going to find in the near future. I do wish I had my camera handy back in April when I found my Clovis, but I probably wouldn't have taken a picture anyway because I thought it was just a flint chip LOL. It was good to have a couple buddies watch me pull it out of the ground though. Anyway, whats to stop someone from planting a purchased point or coin and photographing it? When it comes right down to it, I think you just have to trust the poster.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread