I have a question or three re: these items I have found...

GodOfRustyNails

Jul 8, 2007
South Bend, In
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
I found these in a river in sunny South Bend, In.

This first one I am real curious about. At the very least it is the most symetrical stone I have found...is it an artifact? (I dipped it in water to help with the picture) P1012270.JPG P1012269.JPG P1012270.JPG P1012270.JPG

This I don't think is an artifact, but maybe something commercially made. It is very cylindrical, smooth, and made of some sort of stone. What do you think??? P1012271.JPG P1012273.JPG

I found this right next to the above image...any ideas? IndianPott.jpg P1012263.JPG

This is very dense and struck me as odd. Any ideas???? P1012274.JPG P1012281.JPG

One more...is this indian pottery or a sewer pipe. I said sewer pipe, but the markings at the top of the pict made me think twice. P1012282.JPG

Please let me know honestly what you think... Thank you,
Steve

Attachments

• P1012265.JPG
    P1012265.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 583
Upvote 0

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
that tube looking piece could be the drilled/cored section of a hardstone object...pipe or bannerstone maybe, cant tell on the pottery piece,looks ceramic.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I have been wrong bunches but here is what they look like to me.

First pic- natural rock
second pic- possible battery core?
third pic- shattered bottom of a stone ware jug
fourth pic- geo fact
fifth pic- broken clay tile
Have you seen any flint chips? I would have brought it all home also. You are in a good state for artifacts and thanks for the chance to ID.
HH
TnMtns

OP
OP
GodOfRustyNails

GodOfRustyNails

Jul 8, 2007
South Bend, In
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
TnMountains said:
Ok I have been wrong bunches but here is what they look like to me.

First pic- natural rock
second pic- possible battery core?
third pic- shattered bottom of a stone ware jug
fourth pic- geo fact
fifth pic- broken clay tile
Have you seen any flint chips? I would have brought it all home also. You are in a good state for artifacts and thanks for the chance to ID.
HH
TnMtns

I found these pieces as the water level dropped in the St. Joe river. I have not been able to find any flint chips on land (and I have looked). I have looked for arrow heads and have not found any. I have identified what the flint in our area looks like, I just don't know if I necessarily have found chips.

First pic- Man, I was sure i had something >:( It is just so... symmetrical!
Second pic- are battery cores stone?
Fourth pic- what is the difference from a natural stone and a geo fact?
Fifth pic- Broken clay tile... indian or not? I see what appears to be fingernail markings at the top but I am not sure.
I know I am in a good state for artifacts and I have spent ~ 100 hours looking by the river, in wooded areas and excavation sites...everywhere! I just cannot find anything.

Thank you for your help and honesty...
Steve

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
centfladigger said:
that tube looking piece could be the drilled/cored section of a hardstone object
I think this is the right ID of it. A discarded interior core (drilled by a section of cane spun with a bow, using sand as the cutting agent and water).

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with TN, although the fourth looks like a petrified nut to me..

molly.

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
I say no artifacts in the bunch but, keep looking. I am sure you will come up with something.

1 Rock
2 Core of old battery
3 Bottom of old stoneware crock or jug
4 concretion/nodule
5 Terra cotta tile

Good luck out there
Chuck

arkansaskid

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2007
i found this a long time back a boock sayes its a fishen lure has n, e one any idea of a book with it in it or know of this itam ! the book sayed it was at the time wertha lotamonie like 1500 dollors , any help is grate!!

Attachments

• fish lure.JPG
    fish lure.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 411
  • fish lure.JPG
    fish lure.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 399

jpitt1970

Jan 5, 2009
Huntsville. Al
uniface said:
centfladigger said:
that tube looking piece could be the drilled/cored section of a hardstone object
I think this is the right ID of it. A discarded interior core (drilled by a section of cane spun with a bow, using sand as the cutting agent and water).

how about a core sample from a well drilling or something similiar???? I used to find stuff like that in New Jersey after a well was drilled for a new house.

P

pickaway

That would be a heck of a hole drilled into hardstone? I found one in a field once it was black and made of graphite "so i was told".Creek stained makes it look like rock be my guess.

crow12c

Aug 8, 2009
uniface yea I find them alot! they are batt cores, when I first found one I brought it home too, about 40 years ago, thats what it is, seen hundreds of them.

P

pickaway

"I" have just never seen a "hardstone" piece drilled with a giant hole, yes i know they drilled holes ive seen banners made of slate with some long holes drilled thru em, usally the smaller ones of other material are small, my point was ive never seen a piece of "hardstone" with that large of a hole drilled thru it,that the "battery core" wouldve made.There also should be obvious signs of workmanship left on it from manufacture. :notworthy:
cores2.jpg

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
BANNER-STONES

of the North American Indian

By Byron W. Knoblock (1939)

excerpt

According to the writer's experiment of drilling in ferruginous quartz with a hollow reed and sand, the perforation through this banner-stone, which is four and three-fourths inches in length, required 32,769,528 grinding revolutions, 285 hours of actual drilling time, and 128-1/4 inches of cane was worn away.e ultimate designs was usually done from one end with a drill-stick of hollow-reed or bone. The great majority of those which show incompleted drilling have a protruding core.

http://www.gustavslibrary.com/bannerstones.htm

P

pickaway

Experiment?Like I said, "I" still havent seen one...There prob. are some out there...

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
I never found a Folsom point either -- probably never will. But they exist.

The quote & citation is from what people call "The Bannerstone Book." Had a copy for a while. Written in 1939 by a guy who experimented with drilling using wooden & cane "drills" with sand for abrasive until he could duplicate what the old peoples did. He found that using cane was much faster, since the cutting surface was restricted to the cane edge, leaving a core of un-cut stone like the ones we've been seeing when the drilling was completed.

Whether these are drilling cores depends 100% on whether they're stone or metal. I'd opine that, if they're found on habitation sites, and made of stone, they're drilling cores. Especially since the likelihood of farmers removing batteries from tractors out on fields they're working, taking them apart, and leaving cores from them there is pretty remote.

Or, no ?

P

pickaway

I didnt say find, I said see one...Ive seen some tube pipes made of sandstone and slate have some long holes drilled in them just never hardstone,But wouldnt there be manufacture signs on these cores?I agree if found on site and shows sign of being anciently"manmade".alot of fields around here had old dumps houses whiskey mills etc... on them that are long gone, heck i found a lazarus credit card the other day in a field.like i said ive only found one and it was in Indiana the guy I went with actually told me it was from a old crank type telephone? I'm not sayin there not out there i just dont ever recall seeing a large one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread