Hafted artifact vs. Mother stone vs. unfinished tool

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
Before present, I don't believe I've found a single hafted artifact. Perhaps I still haven't. However, I'd sure like a little input regarding this piece that I picked up last August. It was found at a known Wichita camp site where I've gathered a number of points, scrapers, celts, etc. I have little doubt that it was worked, but does the shape favor a hafted tool? Could it be an unfinished piece? What appears to be the pointed working "end" does have some wear, and the "back" appears smooth and nearly flat. In one of the photos, I positioned wooden pencils in a manner that seems to make sense (to me) if indeed this is a tool. I've even entertained the possibility of it being a mother stone, but the material simply doesn't appear to be something that desirable. I'm open for suggestions, and don't worry about bruising my ego or impugning my judgement.
Thanks for your consideration.
Docmann

Attachments

• GROOV1.JPG
    GROOV1.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 440
  • GROOV3.JPG
    GROOV3.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 429
  • GROOV4.JPG
    GROOV4.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 422
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gosh Doc I have no idea. Looking at it ,it appears it could be hafted if needed. May not ever know on that one. Tough call. Hope things have been well with you :thumbsup:
HH
TnMtns

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in one spot it looks like it was hit two times.dont worry though im going to find ya something indisputable this year. jamey

OP
OP
docmann

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
Ah Pick!
You're always lettin the air out of my fantasies!
May not be too far off base though!
Thanks for all of your opinions.
Doc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread