IS IT TIME TO QUIT COLLECTING ?????????

MObushwhacker

Feb 20, 2010
Scott County Missouri
Detector(s) used
White DFX
IS IT TIME TO QUIT COLLECTING
Borned on the outskirts of a small Missouri town 71 years ago I started at an early age of hunting and collecting Indian artifacts. Back then, the farmers plow their fields bringing the artifacts to the top. In addition, they did not care if you hunted their fields. All the kids collected arrowheads. I retired 10 years ago from the Government and moved back to Missouri with the intent to hunt artifacts during my retirement years, cant thinks of a better way to retire.
I advertise in the local papers that I buy Indian artifacts and other vintage item and have accumulated a fair collection over the years. Several months ago I decided that I was accumulated more artifacts ten I had room for and decided to sell some. Where is the best place to sell, Ebay right? I had a large number of bird point, so I pack up the little point in packs of twenty. They were all very nice points. For a pack of 20, the highest bid on all the packs were less the 17 dollars or about 85 cents apiece I also sold three nice grove axes they sold for 30 and 35 dollars apiece. Arrowheads from an inch to three inched long sold for less then two dollars apiece.
But the real shock came today I took some of the exceptionally beautiful points over to a boyhood friend of mine who travels the US buying and selling Indian artifacts at the shows they setup around the country
He stated the pieces that I had brought over to show him were reproductions. He did agree they were old maybe 40 or 50 years old. He did this with his necked eye and never stutters. I know this friend for years and he would not give any bad information.
I spoke with him for several hours, on how he could tell if they were originals or reproductions. What did he use to base his determination on? I never got an answer. He stated that he had sent some of his early artifacts that he personal found to an authenticator in Kentucky and they were returned as being reproductions, and he stated I personally found them I know they were real.
We when to his basement where he kept his collection and show me the most beautiful arrowhead collection including Mississippian pots, stone pipes, large axes, and other artifacts. He then said something I will never forget; I do not know that any of them are real. There is a click of five authenticator in the US that recognizes each other’s certificates they have made millions of dollars selling their reproduction artifacts as the real thing. They will only recognize each other certificate and disclaim all the other. There is no way a person can be sure that an artifact is real unless you personally fine it. It is impossible, you can only guess, and probably 95 % of the artifacts for sell are reproductions.
He show me a magazine cover of a beautiful four and a half inch point made of jasper that had sold at an auction for 70.000 dollars and stated ‘I know personally that the point is not real’ I believe at that time I lost all interest in my collections other then some of my persona finds. I never got the answer I wanted.
How can you tell if an artifact is real are not?
To make this story interesting I have included pictures of some of my collection that does include some pre-Colombia gold items from panama. I found most of the other stuff.

Attachments

• P1010002 (Medium).JPG
    0 bytes · Views: 523
  • P1010003 (Medium).JPG
    0 bytes · Views: 532
  • P1010004 (Medium).JPG
    0 bytes · Views: 527
Upvote 0

Buckhunter

May 9, 2010
Elsberry Mo
Detector(s) used
Graphite golf club shaft, and my eyes
That is what happens at auctions today, Im okay with buying the odd piece but it is from a farmers who find them. Besides it is to much fun looking for them to quit!!! :tongue3:

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ldmorrill said:
Road Dog said:
Much easier for us NC Piedmont collectors to tell if our points are real.
PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW

I agree with RD.

Rhyolite is very easy to tell if its fake or not. Patina,knapping techs,ancient breaks,plow damage. Much the same with most points but, it takes an expert to tell with other materials.

I'm just glad rhyolite was my first material to have to deal with.

Ebay is ok, but ppl are always looking for cheap. I would get the best points authenticated/papered & sell them private. Lots of good private collectors out there willing to give you what its worth.

Molly.

Road Dog

Apr 16, 2009
North Carolina
Very true Molly. Our soil is much more acidic and reacts with fairly consistantly with various materials. There are exceptions with the harder materials. Then you have to fall back on typology. Kinda makes it more of a challenge with the fakes out there. I make it a point (no pun intended) to look at and acquire some fakes. If I'm not sure of a point usually it will be out of state. I rarely will pay more than 10 dollars a inch. That's a fair rate for a well done repro to me. So I can't lose.

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
I will never buy or sell an artifact...not that there is anything wrong with doing so, it's just not for me.

As for my finds....I have every reason to believe they are authentic but have NO DESIRE to have some "expert" tell me so. I found em, they are mine and that's all that matters to me.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I'm with Archer on this one. I've never bought or sold a point and don't intend to. No offense to those who do, but I enjoy finding them. What I found is worth more to me than the market and what the market found is worthless to me. I enjoy finding them, not collecting them.

shopdog

Oct 20, 2008
I HAVE PURCHASED A FEW THINGS AT ACTIONS INCLUDEING EBAY KNOWING THE CHANCES OF THEM BEING FAKE IS HIGH , EVEN PAPERED PEICES CAN BE FAKED . IT`S A CHANCE YOU TAKE BUYING THAT WAY.IT`S A SHAME THAT PEOPLE HAVE GOTTEN SO DISHONEST . THE WAY I THINK OF IT IS THEY MIGHT GET A FEW DOLLARS FROM ME TODAY BUT IN THE LONG RUN THEY WILL PAY , I WAS TAGHT IF SOMEONE STEALS A DIME THEY WILL LOSE A DOLLAR IT MIGHT NOT BE TODAY BUT IT WILL CATCH UP WITH THEM ONE DAY.

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
With all due respect, you have unexpectedly entered a truly "spurious" era collecting. The exact minute these treasures became valuable is when nefarious types took advantage. Wether artifacts are good or bad they should remain personal. This hobby went way south when people relied on so called executive opinions. I will give them KUDOS for their savy, however, authenticators took advantage. These "executives" I speak of are modern day snake oil salesman. They are bent on mula. Just common day people whom the masses believe. It's the thang to do, send it off to some dude who knows no more or no more less than you. Really, it's just that simple! laissez faire.
Take care.

Attachments

• imagesCA6Q8SDQ.jpg
    imagesCA6Q8SDQ.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 490

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say go out and hunt your spots and keep it fun. :dontknow: Enjoy what you have.

OP
OP
MObushwhacker

MObushwhacker

Feb 20, 2010
Scott County Missouri
Detector(s) used
White DFX
thirty7 said:
There's really no need for an authenticator if you know how to use a microscope and know what to look for.
What is the secret. ????? Please...If anybody can tell a fake artifact then we can put the people who sell them out of business in a couple of months. We can also put the people who claim to be authenticators out of business. Digital microscope aren't expensive anymore I bought a good used one 10X to 200X for less then a 100.00 dollars ( HOW) That was the question I asked and never got a answer. What do they look for and how do they make that determination if a point is real or not??????
Added a picture of the stones in question.

Attachments

• P1010006 (Medium).JPG
    P1010006 (Medium).JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 396

Jonzer

Feb 12, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Natural Eyeball Pressure
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with Archer.
Also: WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!
You couldn't give me enough money to sell the stuff you have.
Thanks for showing. If you have more, please post pics.
We all want to see what you got.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
It isn't only Indian relics, people. Ancient coins, old master paintings / sculptures, Kentucky rifles and any number of other things are faked on a daily basis.

There IS NO simple, one size-fits-all, foolproof, magic bullet method to tell a good replica from an ancient piece that you can do at home in your spare time.

The people whose work is being sold as authentic are often NOT making replicas with the idea of gyping people, but doing the best, most historically accurate knapping they can do, just as people who play golf are always trying to lower their handicaps, hunters are studying how to harvest the buck with the biggest rack, or fisherman are out to catch the biggest fish.

The dangerously bad guys in the artifact business know everything them you do (including what you're looking for and how to imitate it convincingly), and then some. It's a dangerous neighborhood and, if you're buying high-end stuff, you know that going in.

It isn't wise to denigrate "uneducated" appraisers/dealers. The sharpest guy I ever met at telling fakes from genuine relics was the late Dick Savage. He had some stories about people you've heard of that would curl your hair. His expertise came from fifty years of hunting, collecting, buying and selling artifacts.

There is only one way I know of to determine the age of an artifact infallibly -- to schedule an examination & certificate appointment for it with Bill Breckinridge, but that's going to set you back $70 for the laser analysis plus registered postage to and from.

Short of that, there are opinions. Neanderthal's I would trust implicitly.

For what it's worth (assuming anything).

OP
OP
MObushwhacker

MObushwhacker

Feb 20, 2010
Scott County Missouri
Detector(s) used
White DFX
Jonzer said:
I'm with Archer.
Also: WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!
You couldn't give me enough money to sell the stuff you have.
Thanks for showing. If you have more, please post pics.
We all want to see what you got.

Don't recall asking you to sell my stuff!

Jonzer

Feb 12, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Natural Eyeball Pressure
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was meant as a compliment to the quality of your collection.
Don't get pissy.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
"I advertise in the local papers that I buy Indian artifacts and other vintage item and have accumulated a fair collection over the years."

This imo is just setting yourself up to acquire lots of fakes.

Like already said, there are unscrupulous folks in all areas of business, artifact collecting is no acception. There are honest dealers out there that work hard to keep it authentic. Imo it really comes down to the buyer, alot of research and knowledge is essential before purchasing any artifacts. Learn materials, and patinas, provinces, etc. Stay away from anything that looks too good to be true. Only do business with dealers who have solid reputations and reasonable guarantees.

I dont know if you came on here for help or to lecture us on your own misfortunes.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Only since you're asking... I wouldn't stop collecting entirely, but I would stop buying artifacts if I were you.

You've got some beautiful artifacts in your collection and the pre-colombian material is great quality, but I see several pieces that stand out as reproductions.

John G. Scoggins

Jan 31, 2010
Fouke,Arkansas
I don't think you should stop collecting.As long as you've been doing it, it would probably be like losing a part of yourself if you quit.There's no easy answer to the question on how to tell a fake.To start with, there are outright fakes.The best defense against them is to know the point types and materials from the area you're collecting.Some red flags to look for are points that are too large for type,made out of materials that are not native, and points that are the correct shape but flaked in the wrong style.An example of questionable flaking would be a point that should have parallel flaking having random flaking instead.Of course, there are authentic pieces that are larger than normal and made out of exotic material.Heck, I found one last year.Another problem we're seeing in our area is authentic pieces from other countries being labeled as local pieces.There's a ton of "African gem points" that aren't worth very much being sold as Texas points that are highly sought after.Then you have folks that sre selling rechipped and restored pieces without telling folks.You also run into some strange pieces that show you how smart and opportunistic some of these snakes are.Recently, a Caddo waterbottle turned up on the market that would have been worth thousands if it was authentic.Somebody took a long neck from an authentic piece and "married" it to a reproduction bottom that was highly engraved.Pieces also turn up that were plain pots that have been engraved in modern times.My best advice is to stay vigilant.If you know without a doubt somebody is knowingly selling bad pieces,, inform everybody that you can.Those of us who are honest have to watch each others back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions