Found A Few 5/29/10

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Just curious, how did you determine that it is a buffalo and not a cow? Really cool man.

Chuck

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had a good day with a lot of good finds. 4 whole ones is great. Looks like the plow took on those river cobbles/tools. Buffalo? No way,,,,I thought I was on Mr.Larsons thread for a moment!!
Nice hunt thirty7. This weather is perfect. One Holiday I am thankful for :occasion17:

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
I'm not 100% sure, It looks just like some buffalo tooth pics on google images, and some examples I've seen on another artifact message board discussing buffalo teeth. I think the main reason I think it's a buffalo is because of the size of bones around it and the artifacts that are coming out of the same horizon beside it. The creek beside this field is called Lick Creek, because it has natural salt licks that brought in the large game and buffalo in prehistoric times.

Still though it's quite possibly a cow tooth. Anyone know the differences between a buffalo tooth and a cow tooth?

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
TnMountains said:
You had a good day with a lot of good finds. 4 whole ones is great. Looks like the plow took on those river cobbles/tools. Buffalo? No way,,,,I thought I was on Mr.Larsons thread for a moment!!
Nice hunt thirty7. This weather is perfect. One Holiday I am thankful for :occasion17:

Thanks Tn., I think some are plow dings , the center stone has three nearly symmetrical grooves across one side? I don't think those are plow damage, another has a groove that looks like a bone sharpening function.

Thanks Grounds Keeper...Have a good memorial day weekend everyone.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thirty7 said:
I'm not 100% sure, It looks just like some buffalo tooth pics on google images, and some examples I've seen on another artifact message board discussing buffalo teeth. I think the main reason I think it's a buffalo is because of the size of bones around it and the artifacts that are coming out of the same horizon beside it. The creek beside this field is called Lick Creek, because it has natural salt licks that brought in the large game and buffalo in prehistoric times.

Still though it's quite possibly a cow tooth. Anyone know the differences between a buffalo tooth and a cow tooth?

Yeah, one is in a cows mouth and the other is in a buffalos mouth.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;D

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
yes thirty7 i think it's a buffalo tooth
i'm not sure if it is upper or lower
i will try to get a picture for comparison

btw, glad you had good hunt
it looks like the tips are still pretty sharp on those points in the first image
thanks for sharing
larson1951

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
cool stuff, man you get alot of the manos where they also used as a sharpener/ lithic grinding tool. more common over there i suppose

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Thanks Viking and Larson for the comments.

Lars, It would be great to see some examples of buffalo teeth, appreciate the help. feel free to post them in here.

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
chong2 said:
cool stuff, man you get alot of the manos where they also used as a sharpener/ lithic grinding tool. more common over there i suppose

Thanks Chong. For whatever reason this spot is full of manos and grinding stones. They seem to be scarce in the other spots I hunt. My best guess on this is that many cultures throughout time lived here, paleo through mississippian.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
thirty7
Ask and you shall receive

they are prolific in my field
these teeth and broken scapula hoes/shovels were picked up this morning in 10 minutes

lars

Attachments

• IMG_1609.jpg
    IMG_1609.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_1611.jpg
    IMG_1611.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 440
  • IMG_1612.jpg
    IMG_1612.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_1614.jpg
    IMG_1614.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 427

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
hey thirty7
did you compare your teeth to the pictures yet?
just curious of your opinion
lars

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Thanks for posting those teeth Lars, they sure look similar. I'm still leaning towards buffalo because of the very large bones scattered beside it and the artifacts found close by. Projectile points, scrapers, and uniface knives. Next time I'm there I'll take some pics of the large bones...might add some more clues to id. Thanks again.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
here is a top view for you to compare
lars

Attachments

• IMG_1640.jpg