Found My First Killer Clovis

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally did it. After 45 years of hunting I can finally say I found a killer Clovis.

I went for a quick hunt before work yesterday to see if I would have any luck and the first spot I hit looked like a parade had went through it. So I went to another spot where I had hunted the back ridge last week and figured I would hunt the front ridge by the river, but the backwater was about 4 feet deep between the ridges and there was no way to get out to it without wading and getting soaked.

So I asked the farmer about a small field up near the road and he said he owned it and I could hunt but not much had been found in there over the years. I figured what the Hell, I don't have a lot of time so I'll check it out.

I hadn't been there 5 minutes when I see the piece in the first in situ(see next post) that turns to be a large Knife with some tip damage. I stuck that in my pocket and went on across the ridge and then turned to come back. Just as I got back close to my vehicle I see a base sticking out from under a dirt clod, so I got down on my knees to get a closer look and a picture and I see the flute. I got so darn excited that the in situ you see isn't the real one because I grabbed it pulled it out of the ground before I even thought about the camera. I then thought, damn, I should have taken a picture so I stuck it right back in and took a couple of pics just as I first saw it. Since I have been looking for one of these babies for 45 years you can understand my exuberance of pulling it out so quickly. lol

I immediately called my buddy and my brother to share the good news and finished hunting the field finding a Brewerton to go along with the Clovis. Three pieces from a spot in a little over an hour in a field the farmer said nothing much came from and one is a Clovis. I'm still in awe.

The second picture is what I saw when I got down on my knees so you can see why I grabbed it so quickly. The others are pictures I took this morning after getting home and cleaning it up. It was still dark so I tried using my security light to get a good picture of the flute. I'll take some better ones this afternoon when I get back up and post them. In the 3rd picture you can see how close I was to my vehicle when I found it.

It is exactly 2 inches long by 3/4 inch wide. It is fluted about 1/2 inch on both sides and it is very nicely ground about a 1/2 inch down on each side. It is a bird egg bluish color with white/black splotches which I believe is a type of Coshocton Flint. I can't quit fondling it and I may end up taking it to bed with me.

Attachments

• 102_1239.jpg
    102_1239.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 3,201
  • 102_1241.jpg
    102_1241.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 3,164
  • 102_1243.jpg
    102_1243.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 3,115
  • DSC_0060.jpg
    DSC_0060.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 3,129
  • DSC_0070.jpg
    DSC_0070.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 3,119
  • DSC_0071.jpg
    DSC_0071.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 3,084
  • DSC_0074.jpg
    DSC_0074.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 3,057
  • DSC_0078.jpg
    DSC_0078.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 3,027
  • DSC_0079.jpg
    DSC_0079.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 2,992
  • DSC_0076.jpg
    DSC_0076.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 2,992
  • DSC_0080.jpg
    DSC_0080.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 2,960
  • DSC_0081.jpg
    DSC_0081.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 2,960
Upvote 0

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
nice steve, if i personally found it i sure as heck would sleep with it on the first night;) :headbang:

Bagman13

Apr 9, 2009
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero; Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome SRV :icon_thumright:
Your finds never cease to amaze me....congrats to yet another banner find :icon_sunny:

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
It's good to know that putting in the hours and hours and hours over the years can still pay off. Great find.

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Like someone said to me, welcome to the Clovis club. Good for you! Classic Ohio type. Did you experience dementia like I?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that thing is beautiful. The color and fluting is fantastic! That will look great in a frame all its own. I am happy for you. So is this really a birthday find? You rock man and a well deserved banner. What a rare find. You better get every piece of flint associated with that field.
Congratilations again!
HH
TnMtns

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a beautiful point! Looks great up on the banner. :icon_thumleft:

M

mickey

congrats! hope you don't have to wait another 45 years for another one. do you think there may be some mammoth blood residue on it?

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations SRV!!!!!Beautiful Clovis Artifact!! Find of a lifetime

flintchasr

Oct 13, 2010
illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Boots and walking stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first clovis and making the banner!!!!!! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

Flintchasr

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Steve! It is a beauty sometimes fields that we dont think produce enough artifacts sometimes produce some of the best.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Every time I see one of these pieces, it sends a primordial chill down my whole body. I think I would rather find one of these than a gold coin. Congratulations sir. :icon_thumleft:

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find my friend, I am so pleased for you, you deserve it after looking for 45 years..

Gotta make the BANNER..

Molly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread