Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Found My First Killer Clovis

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2008
    Southern Ohio
    5249 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (4)

Found My First Killer Clovis

I finally did it. After 45 years of hunting I can finally say I found a killer Clovis.

I went for a quick hunt before work yesterday to see if I would have any luck and the first spot I hit looked like a parade had went through it. So I went to another spot where I had hunted the back ridge last week and figured I would hunt the front ridge by the river, but the backwater was about 4 feet deep between the ridges and there was no way to get out to it without wading and getting soaked.

So I asked the farmer about a small field up near the road and he said he owned it and I could hunt but not much had been found in there over the years. I figured what the Hell, I don't have a lot of time so I'll check it out.

I hadn't been there 5 minutes when I see the piece in the first in situ(see next post) that turns to be a large Knife with some tip damage. I stuck that in my pocket and went on across the ridge and then turned to come back. Just as I got back close to my vehicle I see a base sticking out from under a dirt clod, so I got down on my knees to get a closer look and a picture and I see the flute. I got so darn excited that the in situ you see isn't the real one because I grabbed it pulled it out of the ground before I even thought about the camera. I then thought, damn, I should have taken a picture so I stuck it right back in and took a couple of pics just as I first saw it. Since I have been looking for one of these babies for 45 years you can understand my exuberance of pulling it out so quickly. lol

I immediately called my buddy and my brother to share the good news and finished hunting the field finding a Brewerton to go along with the Clovis. Three pieces from a spot in a little over an hour in a field the farmer said nothing much came from and one is a Clovis. I'm still in awe.

The second picture is what I saw when I got down on my knees so you can see why I grabbed it so quickly. The others are pictures I took this morning after getting home and cleaning it up. It was still dark so I tried using my security light to get a good picture of the flute. I'll take some better ones this afternoon when I get back up and post them. In the 3rd picture you can see how close I was to my vehicle when I found it.

It is exactly 2 inches long by 3/4 inch wide. It is fluted about 1/2 inch on both sides and it is very nicely ground about a 1/2 inch down on each side. It is a bird egg bluish color with white/black splotches which I believe is a type of Coshocton Flint. I can't quit fondling it and I may end up taking it to bed with me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	102_1239.jpg 
Views:	3096 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	505206   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	102_1241.jpg 
Views:	3072 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	505207   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	102_1243.jpg 
Views:	3027 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	505208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0060.jpg 
Views:	3030 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	505209   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0070.jpg 
Views:	3024 
Size:	174.5 KB 
ID:	505210  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0071.jpg 
Views:	2997 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	505211   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0074.jpg 
Views:	2971 
Size:	160.4 KB 
ID:	505212   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0078.jpg 
Views:	2932 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	505213   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0079.jpg 
Views:	2905 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	505214   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0076.jpg 
Views:	2905 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	505215  

Name:	DSC_0080.jpg 
Views:	2878 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	505216   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0081.jpg 
Views:	2875 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	505217  
    "Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends."

us
    Apr 2008
    Southern Ohio
    5249 times
    Banner Finds (4)

Re: Found My First Killer Clovis

Here's the first in situ I mentioned in the post above and the Brewerton I also found. Plus a really crude Chopper I found, took a picture of, and tossed back down.

Name:	102_1236.jpg 
Views:	2897 
Size:	172.1 KB 
ID:	505221   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	102_1237.jpg 
Views:	2854 
Size:	163.5 KB 
ID:	505222   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	102_1238.jpg 
Views:	2830 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	505223   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	102_1245.jpg 
Views:	2834 
Size:	148.8 KB 
ID:	505224   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	102_1246.jpg 
Views:	2797 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	505225  

Name:	102_1247.jpg 
Views:	2772 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	505226   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	102_1248.jpg 
Views:	2741 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	505227  
    "Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends."

us
    Sep 2008
    ne ohio
    7 times

great job steve you got my vote for a banner

us
    Aug 2009
    Blue ridge mts, Virginia
    888 times
    The smell of Nitro in the morning

Wow!! Killer find. Congrats, banner for sure.HH.

us
    I breed scarlet and gray

Feb 2009
    fairfield county,ohio
    13 times
    Banner Finds (1)

very killer steve!!i think you will be forgiven for blowing the insitu.lol.great find dude,congrats.banner vote from me.
    aint gonna find any heads sittin on the couch

Felinepeachy

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

us
    May 2009
    Northeast Missouri
    135 times

Dang rookie can't even hold off long enough to take a real insitu......lol....

Fantastic little point...congrats to you SRV...you sure deserve it.

You have my banner vote for sure.

Also...about the crude chopper....I think I'd keep it, you never know it might have been made by the same people that made that Clovis. I'd want to keep every piece of flint I found in that little field.

Betcha can't wait to go back.

us
    Dec 2010
    72 times

45 years great story SRV I enjoy your posts here and on other sites long time comming but well earned super congrats to ya got my vote I currently dont see any stones in the header cant let that happen, that was farmers favorite spot ya know LoL-trout

us
    Oct 2008
    Central Great Plains
    429 times

Quote Originally Posted by SRV
    I finally did it. After 45 years of hunting I can finally say I found a killer Clovis.
    Good looking Clovis, congrats.

Did you find the below piece in the same location?

Name:	102_1248.jpg 
Views:	2574 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	505245  

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    29229 times

Quote Originally Posted by SRV

I went for a quick hunt before work yesterday to see if I would have any luck and the first spot I hit looked like a parade had went through it. So I went to another spot where I had hunted the back ridge last week and figured I would hunt the front ridge by the river, but the backwater was about 4 feet deep between the ridges and there was no way to get out to it without wading and getting soaked.

So I asked the farmer about a small field up near the road and he said he owned it and I could hunt but not much had been found in there over the years. I figured what the Hell, I don't have a lot of time so I'll check it out.

I hadn't been there 5 minutes when I see the piece in the first in situ(see next post) that turns to be a large Knife with some tip damage. I stuck that in my pocket and went on across the ridge and then turned to come back. Just as I got back close to my vehicle I see a base sticking out from under a dirt clod, so I got down on my knees to get a closer look and a picture and I see the flute. I got so darn excited that the in situ you see isn't the real one because I grabbed it pulled it out of the ground before I even thought about the camera. I then thought, damn, I should have taken a picture so I stuck it right back in and took a couple of pics just as I first saw it. Since I have been looking for one of these babies for 45 years you can understand my exuberance of pulling it out so quickly. lol

I immediately called my buddy and my brother to share the good news and finished hunting the field finding a Brewerton to go along with the Clovis. Three pieces from a spot in a little over an hour in a field the farmer said nothing much came from and one is a Clovis. I'm still in awe.

The second picture is what I saw when I got down on my knees so you can see why I grabbed it so quickly. The others are pictures I took this morning after getting home and cleaning it up. It was still dark so I tried using my security light to get a good picture of the flute. I'll take some better ones this afternoon when I get back up and post them. In the 3rd picture you can see how close I was to my vehicle when I found it.

It is exactly 2 inches long by 3/4 inch wide. It is fluted about 1/2 inch on both sides and it is very nicely ground about a 1/2 inch down on each side. It is a bird egg bluish color with white/black splotches which I believe is a type of Coshocton Flint. I can't quit fondling it and I may end up taking it to bed with me.
    Beautiful point, thousands of years old......... Congrats
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    I Often Find Myself Killing Time Looking For What Time Has Killed!

Feb 2009
    Morehead City / Newport NC
    Minelab E-Trac
    945 times
    Banner Finds (3)

Nice point SRV,
    Congrat's on the banner.
    Take Care,
    Them Colonials​Can't Hide Nowhere Now!

Great point and nice pictures in the field well deserved banner

SS
    Don't piss down my back, then tell me it's raining.

us
    Oct 2008
    around town
    CZ5
    58 times

MagNificent......... Well Deserved.............

us
    Mar 2009
    Oklahoma
    Tesoro Tejon
    39 times

WOW!!! Killer Find! Congrats on the Banner! Sweet Dreams!

us
    Feb 2011
    SE IN.
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by bilt46
    MagNificent......... Well Deserved.............
    Very nice! You need a huntin" partner? lol

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links