First Ever Find: Little Pot with Iron Bit on it.

Tippy T

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2011
I'm so excited. This is my very first Indian artifact. I've looked for years for arrowheads, but never any luck. I found this little pot yesterday (Sunday) when hiking with my sister in a dry creek bed. Last year's dried leaves covered much of the little pot - it's only 5.5 inches tall to the highest point, and 3 inches wide at the widest point. But, part of the rounded side was sticking out. I thought it was a round rock and scooted at it with my foot. It rolled out pretty easily and I could see it was a real artifact.

I've hunted on the net and I think it might be a water bottle, except it's a bit different from the other ones I saw that were wider at the base, whereas this one has a smaller base and tapers upward and outward more.
little indian pot.jpg
What I would like to know is what the little iron thing is on it. I took a close up. It looks like a "C" shape, and it's definitely iron. Looks like it was fired into the pot. I wondered if the indians might have had little chains that held a lid on to the pot - with such a hook. Maybe part of the hook is broken.
Metal tag on pot.jpg
We hunted around but didn't find any of the broken off pieces. Still, I'm very proud of this little pot, my very first find. The first of many, I hope.

I found it in central Ks. McPherson county.

Upvote 0

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! All I ever find are pottery shards. I would sh"t if I found one whole.

OP
OP
T

Tippy T

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2011
Gosh, I was really hoping it was an Indian artifact. I should have thought it could be from another time. But we were hunting close to the Sharp's Creek archaeological site where the Great Bend Indians had a settlement, so I just naturally thought I would find an Indian artifact.

Maybe I still have yet to find my first Indian artifact, I guess. It's very nice, though, and I'd still like to know more about where it came from. I can feel little finger marks inside the neck and someone did a good job, because it's pretty symetrical, just a bump here and there. The light part that is seen in the first photo is the part that was exposed, the rest is pretty dark.

I'm still happy with it - now, I just have a mystery to solve. thank you for the comments.

Jonzer

Feb 12, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Natural Eyeball Pressure
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Modern or not, you found a nice piece.
I agree, I would s**t too if I found that.

ShieldJaguar

Aug 9, 2009
KC, MO
Looks ancient to me. I find shards like that pottery in my creek all the time.

Is there a glaze on it? It doesn't look like it.

My guess is it's very old.

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
Tippy T!! what state was that little pot found in, are you sure that the piece of metal is iron or could it be copper?

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Where was this found? It sure looks like a prehistoric water bottle. The iron could be a large build up of ferric oxide which can occur naturally.

Attachments

• IMG_0600.jpg
    IMG_0600.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 436

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Tippy, you need to check the tempering of the clay. Tempering is a bonding agent used by pottery to help hold the clay together, it can be shell, bone, quartz, sand, grog (previously fired clay)..etc. Check the broken area of the bottle and see if you can distinguish any tempering agent.

OP
OP
T

Tippy T

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2011
It DOES resemble the bottle lostlake showed.

It was found in Central KS, in the bottom of a deep dry creek bed. We have a couple of archaeological digs in the area that turn up Great Bend Indian artifacts and also some that have metal Spaniard stuff. The digs are known as "Sharp's Creek" and "Paint Creek."

I'm not sure how to tell if the metal is copper, but it could be. There does appear to be that iron discoloration on the pot.

I'm lost about understanding how to determine the tempering agent. Is there a way to distinguish one from another? I'll take some closeups, if I can get my camera to focus that close.

The neck appears to have broken long ago, the edges aren't really sharp, kinda smoothed down now.

the base is just flat, like someone pushed it down when the clay was soft to make it sit straight. It's dark like the dark portion of the bottle.

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
All most if the pieces from this area, have what looks to be a outer area and a inner, from where it was fired or the slip was put on, get some pics like he said of the break, clear and close as possible

OP
OP
T

Tippy T

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2011
Neanderthal said:
Take pictures of the broken area of the bottle and of the bottom. Close-up pics of the broken area please.

Here's a pic of a pot from Kansas that I restored some years back. It was found by Rocky & Deb Bornholdt and was a chore to restore.

http://www.arrowheads1.com/graphics/ksbowlbeforeandafter.jpg

That's amazing, Neanderthal! How you were able to put that together so perfectly is an incredible gift.

OP
OP
T

Tippy T

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2011
I took some more pics. This is the closest I could get on the broken rim with my camera.

One more thing - this little pot is kind of sparkly in the sunlight. Not like glitter, but here and there, it appears to be a very tiny bit of sparkle. Mica, maybe?

size perspective.jpg

base.jpg

broken top 2.jpg

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Looks like it's grit tempered pottery. Probably prehistoric. Looks a lot like the one I posted, your is a little bigger.

OP
OP
T

Tippy T

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2011
Thanks lostlake.

This is so exciting to me! I can't wait to get back out there and keep looking.

Thanks everyone for looking at my little pot.

Oh, and lostlake - that's my niece with small hands holding the pot. Just for reference.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread