digging... found my first ax please help id

dustintimmons_83

Oct 25, 2007
west central illinois
I have been reading all your guys post about digging , and I was walking a small feeder creek last week and saw the tip of an arrowhead sticking out the side of a steep bank ... I started to move away the soil and started seeing shards of flint ... the next day I asked permission to the land owner if she minded if I dug on the side of the creek bank... she said no problem... I have no idea what I am doing but I have since dug up numerous flint arrowheads.. I am going again here in a little bit and will post pics of what I am digging.. I posted a pic of one of the full ones I found the other day on here. I guess I was just trying to get a post going to see if any of you knew the culture or what it is im digging ..

Thanks Dustin

Attachments

• heads.jpg
    heads.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 481
Upvote 0
OP
OP
dustintimmons_83

dustintimmons_83

Oct 25, 2007
west central illinois
Re: digging

heres one the heavy duties I found while digging..... well post more pics tonight when I get home

Attachments

• Resampled952011-06-149517-46-4095592.jpg
    Resampled952011-06-149517-46-4095592.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 463

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007

Nice point and a nice material...looks to be some kind of petrified coral or chert with small sea life inclusions.

OP
OP
dustintimmons_83

dustintimmons_83

Oct 25, 2007
west central illinois

ok guys... the dig really payed off today... I found my first axe... can anyone tell what kind it is..... please

Attachments

• hilk.jpg
    hilk.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 415
  • hil.jpg
    hil.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 421
  • creek.jpg
    creek.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 423
  • axe.jpg
    axe.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 423
OP
OP
dustintimmons_83

dustintimmons_83

Oct 25, 2007
west central illinois

I know its a 3/4 groove just dont know the time period,or if there is a way to tell the time period.. the other piece is a blank and I think the other is some kind of grinding stone? The others are just pics of where I am digging... and the land around it

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Dustin - The axe and the heavy duty point are both outstanding artifacts! Congrats on the finds. In an effort to get smarter, do you have any indication if the axe was as the same level (same age) as the heavy duty point or was is higher (less old)? I think that axe is definable sub-type but I know nothing at all about hardstone tools so I'm going to sit this one out. Again, really great finds.

Thanks,
Joe

OP
OP
dustintimmons_83

dustintimmons_83

Oct 25, 2007
west central illinois
@ twitch and creek astronaut... the ax has a slanted groove I dont know if that means anything in the age... @ twich I would say im finding all of the pieces at about 3 feet underground.. I have found the ax and the heavy duty piece,and all of the other pieces at the same level.. im digging deeper and deeper into the side of the bank ,so im not digging down.... I find a bunch of flint shards and burnt rock it seems to me,but not sure.. no pottery or anything else tho.... Thank you so much for all the help it is really appriciated

Dustin

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
dustintimmons_83 said:
@ twitch and creek astronaut... the ax has a slanted groove I dont know if that means anything in the age... @ twich I would say im finding all of the pieces at about 3 feet underground.. I have found the ax and the heavy duty piece,and all of the other pieces at the same level.. im digging deeper and deeper into the side of the bank ,so im not digging down.... I find a bunch of flint shards and burnt rock it seems to me,but not sure.. no pottery or anything else tho.... Thank you so much for all the help it is really appriciated

Dustin
you shouldnt be finding any pottery because they werent making pottery when they were making 3/4 grooved axes,that is if you are digging in a controled horizon.??heavy dutys are an early archaic type but it is debatable whether 3/4 grooved axes were produced that early.as far as the slanted groove I would guess that is just how that fella made it.

OP
OP
dustintimmons_83

dustintimmons_83

Oct 25, 2007
west central illinois
@ muskie it was am awesome feeling.... @ creek astronaut .. yea im digging at a controled horizon... Thanks with the help... when did they start making pottery,banner stone,ect......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread