ID Reference books.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Hey Buzz, I am (was) close to buying an Overstreet, if you don't mind, would you share your opinion on what doesn't work for you in it? You might save me some bucks :icon_thumleft:

Do you have any luck with projectile points and/or lithics.net? I find them confusing so I thought the book might help? :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
buzzgator

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa/Tesoro Cibola
Maybe its just me but it has so many points/blades that all look alike with different names, no color pics and very little info as far as type of material used. One example is the Smith has 5 dif pics all look dif and are very simular to a pick of a stone square stem, then there are the North blade that could also be a Side knife, and so on and on. I paid 31.99 plus tax for overstreet and even tho its confusing to me at times I would still buy it again. as for internet sites only access i have rite now is phone and pics just arent that detailed on my 1n1/2 inch screen to help me id. hope this helps you decide.

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
keep at them Buzz!! i need that book to! the look a like points different names are the same point a lot of times, different states, different names, same point, the more states a point is in the more names it will have. some states have more than one name per point. as the dovetail in tennessee on projectile points.com Terry

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
There is no "definitive" guide to typology. Some are grossly negligent and inaccurate (like Overstreets and the projectilepoint website) and I wonder if sometimes they don't do more harm than good. The problem is when people consider them a "bible" and rely on them as a soul source of information and give them far too much credibility. You should never rely on one source of information, that includes listening to me. Put in the research, it will be worth it in the long run.

It really just boils down to where you are collecting. If you are primarily wanting to learn about your neck of the woods, then check out publications from your local Arch/Anthro societies or just regional specific guides ( Taylor, Hester, Powell, Coe, Justice, Converse, etc) . If you are wanting accuracy all over the U.S, then Perino's are the most accurate I have found. Don't get me wrong, there are still flaws, just far fewer than seems to be the norm with others.

OP
OP
buzzgator

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Thanks Neanderthal. i agree with you on overstreet. I am looking for a perino does he have anything for the midwest Mo, Ky, Ill area specificaly?

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
buzzgator said:
Thanks Neanderthal. i agree with you on overstreet. I am looking for a perino does he have anything for the midwest Mo, Ky, Ill area specificaly?

His publications cover all over the U.S.

Here is the difference between his and many other publications out there. The information in the books are not "his" definitions per-se. It's a compilation of information provided for the type in it's original "typing". For instance, he used Don Dickson's information for the Calf Creek, Searcy, Wheeler's information for McKean, etc. There are points that Perino has named, but the vast majority of the information is just him providing you with known data from the original sources.

I commend Jeb Taylor for doing the same thing in his book "Projectile points of the high plains". He didn't try to swamp the book down with his own perceptions and commentary as much as providing just factual data on the original data (and latest as well) on the types. If you live out west (and can afford it) I do highly recommend the book.

Noel Justice started off doing the same in his publications and then went goofy. He added far too much of his personal touch to it in regions that he wasn't as familiar with - it ended up looking like one huge ClusterMuck, pardon the pun. Most of the information in his type guides are legit, very solid and founded. However, he does tend to go off into weird tangents with some of it.

Sorry, got off track. It's really hard to find the larger Perino hardbound guides and they'll break your wallet if you do. What I recommend is picking up the 4 volume Bell / Perino books from Oklahoma Anthropological society. Go here -http://www.ou.edu/cas/archsur/oas/state.html and click on the publications link at the top. Scroll down and look for "The OAS best seller
Guides to the Identification of Certain American Indian Projectile Points. Special Bulletins 1-4, Bell & Perino. 428 pages. A four volume set, first published between 1958 and 1971, providing the descriptions, dating and geographic distribution of 200 dart and arrow point types, ranging in age from the earliest Paleoindian Clovis points to Historic period metal arrow points. A total of 1,789 projectile points are illustrated. Cost $60 (includes shipping).
". I've seen those same books sell on ebay for $100+ ...for some reason people think they can't get them anymore. It's not full of pretty pictures (everything is illustrated), but the information contained within will make it more than worth your while.

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
buzzgator said:
What do you guys consider to be the BIBLE for artifact Iding? I have Overstreets 11th edition and am not happy with it! I also use Central states archaeological journal and am just slightly more impressed with it than Overstreet.

It would be impossible to get any better information than what Neanderthal provided you in his two above posts!

I have absolutely no use for Overstreet.

11KBP

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
hay Neanderthol!! is there a web site you can recomend that is better than the others and grade it against overstreet? right now i can not afford the books medical retired before ready!

OP
OP
buzzgator

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Thank you very much Neanderthal! 11kbp very true and believe me I make it a point to read all of Neanderthals posts/comments on Tnet. I respect his opinions/knowledge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread