Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    May 2006
    whites 1000
    480 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

gorget and paleo heartbreakers, i think

just some eye candy before i show my heartbreakers. well as far as i know these are all paleos, all same field. what is the complete point, is it paleo it has small little flutes but i have no clue. oh and one of my later finds, that is worked around a impact fracture on one side

us
    Apr 2007
    sandusky, ohio
    3 times

Re: gorget and paleo heartbreakers, i think

That gorget is awesome Trev! Makes you wonder why they started drilling that 3rd hole and for really no apparent reason that I can see from here!

us
    Apr 2008
    Southern Ohio
    1243 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (4)

Quote Originally Posted by ohioaxeman
    That gorget is awesome Trev! Makes you wonder why they started drilling that 3rd hole and for really no apparent reason that I can see from here!
    Since it was drilled from both sides so that the hole from each side would meet in the middle what probably happened was he started the hole there and then realized it wasn't lined up with the other side so he moved it over a hair and continued drilling to complete the hole.

Killer pieces Trev. That Gorget is sweet and the Paleo pieces are very nice examples, even damaged.
    "Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends."

us
    Jul 2010
    105 times

That gorget is nice !!! I really like the Paleo artifcts.

us
    Apr 2007
    sandusky, ohio
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by SRV
    Quote Originally Posted by ohioaxeman
    Since it was drilled from both sides so that the hole from each side would meet in the middle what probably happened was he started the hole there and then realized it wasn't lined up with the other side so he moved it over a hair and continued drilling to complete the hole.

Killer pieces Trev. That Gorget is sweet and the Paleo pieces are very nice examples, even damaged.
    That sounds logical Steve!

us
    Jan 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Whites DFX
    3 times
    Relic Hunting

Nice Gorget

mickey

it is possible that he (or she) missed the hole, but i have seen more than one gorget or pendant with similar drilling. i saw a piece that was found not far from my home that had five small drilling impressions. this would would indicate that he was 1) drunk 2) needed glasses or 3) intentionally drilled as some sort of decoration similar to engraved lines. happy hunting. brian.

Jul 2007
    62 times

If you measure from the ends to each hole they are almost the same to the center of the holes. The unfinished hole does not fit the measurement. Makes one think that the maker had a sense of balance or someone else pointed it out to him and he moved the hole over. Great piece.

us
    Apr 2007
    sandusky, ohio
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by mickey
    it is possible that he (or she) missed the hole, but i have seen more than one gorget or pendant with similar drilling. i saw a piece that was found not far from my home that had five small drilling impressions. this would would indicate that he was 1) drunk 2) needed glasses or 3) intentionally drilled as some sort of decoration similar to engraved lines. happy hunting. brian.
    Sounds MORE logical...

us
    Feb 2011
    mid tn.
    1 times

Rege!! i agree compely with you, and we will never know why they moved it, eather way you said could be right , one queston we can not get the answer to. Terry

Sponsors