wooden artifact from the bog

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found several wooden items in this site. most look like pieces of things. this 1 looks for sure carved into a steak. I don't know how I can tell if it is native american or spanish in nature. since both have shown up on this site. figured it was worth posting. the other items that were found with it we're pottery chards chert flake and coble and numerous other bone pieces

ForumRunner_20120719_181847.png

ForumRunner_20120719_181928.png

ForumRunner_20120719_182033.png

ForumRunner_20120719_182129.png

ForumRunner_20120719_182213.png

Upvote 0

BeachComber7

May 12, 2012
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer and Tesoro deLeon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ooo that stake looks like it could do some damage. Is that other thing a juvenile antler?
Cool stuff you found, I'm jealous! :laughing7:

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its hard to say... everything is so well preserved in this site.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah hah! Caught ya...you're thinking of food again! :laughing7:

mmmmm.. when did this change into the recipe forum? lol.

Anyway, these are some great finds!!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is a cool find.Now to just figure out if it was sharpened and cut with steel or stone. Those bogs are a treasure trove I bet. Does the tannin stain everything? Thanks for showing and preserving.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah pretty much everything gets a tannin patina. but every once in awhile something comes up clean. I don't really know why. ...ha ha.. I did say steak didnt I.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have it soaking already. I didn't want it to dry out at all. I bring bags to the site. and keep them in the water I found them in until I can clean them with purified water. I'm using a mixture of white glue and sugar diluted with water. sucrose is very similar 2 cellulose. I've had some luck stopping the shrinking with this mixture.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a guy on here named Fossis. He is a legend,lol. He gave me a recipe to preserve some cave bear teeth. I need to ask him again what he mixed to preserve things as I never got to it. You think that would work on bone?

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
without the sugar. yes. its the best for wet items. for dry stable items I use a mix of ducco cement and acetone.

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. The antler looks like the tips have been removed. Thanks for the view.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
maybe leave them alone
lookie how long they lasted where they have been
that seems to me like re-finishing a vintage guitar.......you dont do it..
......once you mess with it .......it is FOREVER NOT AN original piece
something that has been around for hundreds of years is gonna all (awl) of a sudden fall apart just because you found it and didn't put some coating on it??
this is only my very in-experienced opinion...you can't turn an original piece back to original.. or make it better....once you do something to it...
you can only make it not original.......i like everyone one on this site and value your thoughts...and am ready for your comments
larson1951
.........not original....... don't get ticked off at me......i just hope you know what i mean
what i have found 20 years ago still look the same............and what is still in the ground waiting to be discovered will stay the same as it has been for hundreds of years......i am not trying to start another one of these threads that go on and on....and on....and................................

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you 100 percent.. when that is possible. petrified objects found in a field is a completely different thing. these items have been preserved because the environment they were in had almost 0 oxygen. they have also been completely water logged. in the case of wooden artifacts. the cell structure of the wood is mostly intact. but the bulk of the wood has mostly deteriorated. if left to dry in that state the surface tension of the water molecules would pull while drying and contracting. ultimately ripping apart the cell walls shrinking.. splitting.. and destroying the object. similar situation with a waterlogged preserved bone. it is not stable as you would find with bone that managed to survive in dry ground. wet site archaeology is a lot different.

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
=O Did you have it tested for VAMPIRE blood?!?!?!?

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's a good 1... I have to say that crossed my mind too. I mean I don't see any obvious strap marks or connection points.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mean look at this thing.. it could have killed dracula

ForumRunner_20120721_005006.png

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
ok gator, i see what you mean and wasn't trying to give you a bad time
that stake sure has a ferocious tip on it....and it appears to have been sharpened by a metal blade
i think that helps tell it's age in a small way
i like all of the cool things you find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread