Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings from Canada again EH. This was found on a island. It looks to me like it maybe was used to form and sharpen tools and points. There are 2 holes that are a different diameter and depth. One of the holes still has a little mud residue in it as I have not sacrificed a toothbrush to clean it yet. There are 2 grooves by 1 of the holes that look like they are ground in from use. Looks like a coarse and fine groove for sharpening. The rock is IMG_1512.JPG IMG_1514.JPG IMG_1516.JPG IMG_1521.JPG IMG_1532.JPG IMG_1534.JPG IMG_1537.JPG IMG_1518.JPG IMG_1517.JPG covered with scratches on what is an otherwise smooth surface. Some parts of the surface look like they have been used as a wet stone to finish the sharpening process . Is this some kind of old Native workbench?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure you already know that it looks like a face in the first pic. That is big enough to be a canoe weight. I dont know if they used them like that though. Could be a double sided Mortar used for grinding. Thanks for the show.

Paleopilot

Dec 4, 2012
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure you already know that it looks like a face in the first pic. That is big enough to be a canoe weight. I dont know if they used them like that though. Could be a double sided Mortar used for grinding. Thanks for the show.

I can see a face in the top right photo also.
Wonder if it was used to start a fire, not sure if you would want it on the top of the stick, or the bottom, but it would work.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way cool. I am thinking morter as well. Really neat looking. Good seeing the finds from your area. Do you find many stone artifacts in this area?

OP
OP
Backbacon

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way cool. I am thinking morter as well. Really neat looking. Good seeing the finds from your area. Do you find many stone artifacts in this area?

I have found a few and will be finding more as soon as this ice age we're going through here ends. Can you believe that there is still almost 4 feet of ice one the lakes. My goal for this year is to find some some points. I've been doing tons of scouting this winter (best time to read the land) and have found some very interesting sites that I will be sure to explore. Sorry it took me so long to respond.
3.jpg

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you have the best of areas to hunt. Ice has finally disappeared on the lake, and I have located the site of an old NA fishing and turtle hunting I want to explore.Best to you and happy hunting.

pointshunter

Feb 10, 2013
ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Did the Indians make these a lot this way or ( double sided ) or was this just an unusual piece?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread