rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice blade. I see some fractures on the sides that are fresh so be careful as to not to damage it much more. It is quite a nice artifact. I would like to see the pic of that rock pile if you have any, sounds interesting. I dont dig or mess with rock piles either just in case.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think so it is in a bottom between hills I assume maybe they had a camp there of some sort. I didn't want to mess w it much cause I thaught maybe was a burial. Very interesting though. There were a lot of Sioux around here for at least 9000 years I just think its interesting.

If the area that you found it was in a bottom between two hills and if possibily sheltered on the north side it could very well be a snowbank kill site. The hunters would chase the buffalo into the north facing side, which is where more snow would accumulate and would not melt that quickly. I would continue to search the area, it may have been a kill site.

Last edited:

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a really nice knife..... Knives have some really nice knapping to them, just as nice as any spear point. Too large to be a spear point in my opinion....

Great find!:icon_thumleft:

i agree not a scraper and too big for a spear point........but a really nice knife

I am not sure I know there was a man who lived on lake who's name was something like dog who paints himself blue. I don't know if that was the chief or not.

the lake is Blue Dog Lake (a good walleye lake)

yes, Sunkatoiceye means "Man with blue dog".........(pronounced shoong-ka-toe-eechee-yay)
sunka (shoong-ka) means dog or wolf in Sioux language

yup he was a famous Chief, him and his four sons were all over seven feet tall............here is where he is now

he is my wife's great great grandpa

IMG_0315.jpg

Last edited:

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a really nice knife..... Knives have some really nice knapping to them, just as nice as any spear point. Too large to be a spear point in my opinion....

Great find!:icon_thumleft:

I am not sure I know there was a man who lived on lake who's name was something like dog who paints himself blue. I don't know if that was the chief or not.

i agree not a scraper and too big for a spear point........but a really nice knife

the lake is Blue Dog Lake (a good walleye lake)

yes, Sunkatoiceye means "Man with blue dog".........(pronounced shoong-ka-toe-eechee-yay)
sunka (shoong-ka) means dog or wolf in Sioux language

yup he was a famous Chief, him and his four sons were all over seven feet tall............here is where he is now

he is my wife's great great grandpa

View attachment 1039389

i was gonna delete this for being off topic of artifacts......i promise i will do this tomorrow if no interest developes...

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
That is a spectacular piece!

Congratulations on a great find! There is a lot of ancient history up in that area. If you get a little farther south, near lake Poinsette, at the state park, there is a great museum full of one local mans finds.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is a nice piece,reminds me of cobbs blades that i see in tenn.it very well could of been a spear point if they would of notched it.i would check too see if there is more of them there.some say they would take them down that far for trade,is the flint that it is made of common there?

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
that is a nice piece,reminds me of cobbs blades that i see in tenn.it very well could of been a spear point if they would of notched it.i would check too see if there is more of them there.some say they would take them down that far for trade,is the flint that it is made of common there?

well i first thought porcellanite......then chalcedony........but i really don't know a lot about these kinds of flint?????

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread