North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
spell check

that is nice
what does the other side look like?
if you don't mind me asking, what part of the country is it from?
i am from north dakota, lots of sioux territory here
it looks like big knife or scraper to me but not for a spear
but i am not sure

i tend to agree with arthur mac

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

biggoldy

Greenie
Oct 27, 2012
It is from just below big coolee. There is a thick gulch north of the rez was found where land plained out at bottom. I am actually a member of the big coolee district of oyate and elders said it could have been a scraper like u say. I dunno it is pretty much a perfect point bout only 1/4 inch thick and tapered to point that's y I think it was some sort weapon most scrapers I've seen don't have that kind of craftsmanship.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a really nice knife..... Knives have some really nice knapping to them, just as nice as any spear point. Too large to be a spear point in my opinion....

Great find!:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
B

biggoldy

Greenie
Oct 27, 2012
So I do custom fencing in the hills in glacial lake region. And recently I came across what looked like a fire pit with bigger rocks placed in about a 4 ft circle. What was weird was that it was in a slough that dried up in the drought probably been under water for many years and near the fire pit there was bigger rocks placed in a row about 30-50 ft long. It wasn't done by settlers I'm certain. What would they mark like that. Pretty sure not a burial.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
It is from just below big coolee. There is a thick gulch north of the rez was found where land plained out at bottom. I am actually a member of the big coolee district of oyate and elders said it could have been a scraper like u say. I dunno it is pretty much a perfect point bout only 1/4 inch thick and tapered to point that's y I think it was some sort weapon most scrapers I've seen don't have that kind of craftsmanship.

my wife is a registered member of the rez you live at
Chief Blue Dog (Sunkatoiciye) is her great great grandfather

for you Tnetters Oyate (o-ya-tay) means "our people"

larson1951

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

biggoldy

Greenie
Oct 27, 2012
Oh ya I know some blue dogs actually. A Guy who works with me has half sisters that are daughters of Kurt blue dog probably cousins to ur wife

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
biggoldy said:
So I do custom fencing in the hills in glacial lake region. And recently I came across what looked like a fire pit with bigger rocks placed in about a 4 ft circle. What was weird was that it was in a slough that dried up in the drought probably been under water for many years and near the fire pit there was bigger rocks placed in a row about 30-50 ft long. It wasn't done by settlers I'm certain. What would they mark like that. Pretty sure not a burial.

I have heard that (in my area) the natives would barrie their tools for a certain region, then stack lots and lots of stones on top of the spot. Doesn't sound like a good way to hide them to me, but I have heard that is what they did. You think it could have been a dam or fish weir of sorts??

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh ya I know some blue dogs actually. A Guy who works with me has half sisters that are daughters of Kurt blue dog probably cousins to ur wife

probably so
i think Blue Dog lake is named after Sunkatoiyice also, right?

OP
OP
B

biggoldy

Greenie
Oct 27, 2012
I don't think so it is in a bottom between hills I assume maybe they had a camp there of some sort. I didn't want to mess w it much cause I thaught maybe was a burial. Very interesting though. There were a lot of Sioux around here for at least 9000 years I just think its interesting.

OP
OP
B

biggoldy

Greenie
Oct 27, 2012
I am not sure I know there was a man who lived on lake who's name was something like dog who paints himself blue. I don't know if that was the chief or not.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find. Looks similar to some of the hoe blades I've found, but the shape is slightly different.

OP
OP
B

biggoldy

Greenie
Oct 27, 2012
They found a man in browns valley dated back 9-10000 years they found him in gravel they were using for road. Also they found Clovis points in the gravel. In my opinion there have been around a lot longer. The ancient glacier lake agazis southern tip was northeast SD. They find artifacts where the shoreline used to be from a different tribe definitely not Sioux.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nicce big ole blade. North blade?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread