Gorget find.

mcb

May 6, 2012
Northeastern ohio
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro, Fisher F70, bounty hunter IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this on another thread and someone suggested I post this here to get for information on it. I found it in a local creek last July and have also found arrow heads prior. At first I wasn't sure what it was.

ForumRunner_20130218_183125.png

ForumRunner_20130218_183229.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mcb

mcb

May 6, 2012
Northeastern ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Northeastern Ohio.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah real nice find. You can google Gorget and see many examples. You have a good one. That is an area I would go back to. Thanks for sharing such a good find. Post up your points one day.
HH
TnMtns

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Really cool find. Gorget's are not common to find. Probably you have a Woodland piece, roughly ~2,000 years old. While there's still some debate as to what they were used for, I think it's fairly well accepted that they were largely ornamental. Many examples exhibit string wear through and between the holes. Again, everybody here would be thrilled to find that find. Many of us (me included) have not and likely will not ever find a nicer drilled piece.

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sweet find thanks for sharing

OP
OP
mcb

mcb

May 6, 2012
Northeastern ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you twitch. Its crazy how I went from not knowing, then thinking it was net weight (disappointment LOL), to knowing its a gorget. I have to gather the points as my kids have claimed them. They love finding fossils and minerals. Since we've found so much at that site I asked them to keep all the finds together. I do have a background in anthropology so I'm aware of how to document each site and finds within, which I'll be doing now.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting..killer find! I would definitely look that area over real hard. Maybe try to figure if you can where the bulk of the items upstream from that stop showing up. Since that piece is heavier than most it might help you zero in on the section of Bank the items are coming from. I've seen people find several points all in one spot by splashing water on a section of eroded Bank.

OP
OP
mcb

mcb

May 6, 2012
Northeastern ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gatorboy: good point about splashing on eroded spots.

The way the creek is the sides near then bank are eroding where you can see several layers. Its constantly being washed away or breaking apart gradually. I thought maybe this piece could have come from the side which washed into the creek. Plausible right? I went back this past Friday to take a closer look at the banks but the weather turned bad fast.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gatorboy: good point about splashing on eroded spots.

The way the creek is the sides near then bank are eroding where you can see several layers. Its constantly being washed away or breaking apart gradually. I thought maybe this piece could have come from the side which washed into the creek. Plausible right? I went back this past Friday to take a closer look at the banks but the weather turned bad fast.

I would almost guarantee that's what happened. Best of luck my friend.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had found that it would be the center piece for a frame. I am still looking for one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread