Is this natural??

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I have found quite a bit of stuff that I haven't had time to post lately. This one little thing has baffled me. I can't figure if it is Mother Nature messing with me or if this stone is altered by man. I think it's altered but can not determine why it was ever altered. Any info. Opinions or insight is appreciated.

image-1888962329.jpg

image-1910466517.jpg

image-856023301.jpg

image-544847325.jpg

image-653177753.jpg

Thanks!!!

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id like to see the sides of it better. Maybe further away and then we can zoom in after it is posted. I can see what you are questioning but need to see a better pic of it.

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Here are a few more pics of this odd stone and what I found in the same field. Sorry it took so long.

image-74539216.jpg

image-3172409468.jpg

image-1979537063.jpg

image-4214845916.jpg

image-452437755.jpg

image-3198425037.jpg

image-1479036042.jpg

image-2756019572.jpg

image-4238596617.jpg

image-3227076853.jpg

Thanks

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No clue on the worked rock but the points and tools look nice.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alien Head? LOL just kidding. Im sure some type of tool. Maybe the sides were longer at one time and if so some type of drilling tool?

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Alien Head? LOL just kidding. Im sure some type of tool. Maybe the sides were longer at one time and if so some type of drilling tool?

I'm not sure about this being a tool. Alien head sounds closer to me. Lol! I'm not sure. I never hunt far off of a river or at least a large feeder creek. My normal hunt is 1/2 mile off of the water. Rarely will I hunt over a mile off of the water. I'm not sure why, but in my area, 1/2 mile off of the water is premo. Hunting. I'm wandering if this thing is an actual lizard or duck head. I know Reaper has said this time and time again, and I do believe him, "native people were great artisans". Still, I'm sure some were quick creations. If for no other reason than to pamper a child. This may be a toy that resembles a water animal. It may be Our Heavenly Father's work. I know at times God must look down and laugh. He probably says, "look.... Look... St.Peters, come here quick. Look at Rusty studying that rock I made. Ha Ha Ha!! He just don't give up." What he doesn't know yet..... I'm bringing my rocks with me!!

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In your second set of photos, photo 2 and 3. Is the top surface of the nipple a surface of the original cortex of the pebble, with cortex in the entire center of the pebble as well? That's what it looks like, and it looks pecked, and maybe ground some, between the tip of the nipple and center of the stone, from both sides. Both sides strike me as having been fashioned by man, with cortex at the terminus of both ends, and cortex in the middle. Would need to judge in hand, but if it's reduced from both sides I think that it's unlikely to be natural. No clue what, but my 2 cents. Might be an unfinished piece.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
In your second set of photos, photo 2 and 3. Is the top surface of the nipple a surface of the original cortex of the pebble, with cortex in the entire center of the pebble as well? That's what it looks like, and it looks pecked, and maybe ground some, between the tip of the nipple and center of the stone, from both sides. Both sides strike me as having been fashioned by man, with cortex at the terminus of both ends, and cortex in the middle. Would need to judge in hand, but if it's reduced from both sides I think that it's unlikely to be natural. No clue what, but my 2 cents. Might be an unfinished piece.

The center or nipple does have the texture and patina of the stones cortex. I'm not sure if my pictures allow the difference in patina to be seen. The ground or pecked area is a shade darker. The outer is a tad bit faded. Thanks for the input.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread