Attachments

• 5-29-06.jpg
    5-29-06.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 272
Upvote 0
A

Atlantis0077

Howdy,

On the contrary, the higher quality pieces are normally made out of good quality flint, quartz, etc. Much of it will be translucent...a few pieces even transparent. The really good paleo pieces I have are normally "glossy" giving the appearance of wax or soap at first glance. Nice little tool you have there. Of course what they made things from varied greatly from location to location...native Americans traded a lot, but were also opportunists in the materials they used.

Happy Hunting,

Atlantis

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
That is a nice little tool there- from the picture though it almost looks like more of a chert...maybe a heat treated chert of some sort?? Nice either way-

P

pickaway

Hmm carter cave material?
could it be a broken blade or square knife?

OP
OP
Adena_man

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
It is actually rounded off on the right side. You can tell where they smoothed off the edges by flaking it. When I first picked it up I thought it was broken. I went ahead and cleaned it up at home and saw where it had been worked on the right. Most of the square knives that I find in this field are about half as tall and longer. I had first thought it was a type of quartz earlier, but I am starting to think it is some sort of translucent chert like others have said. A friend of mine looked at it and leaned towards it being a type of chert. They find a lot of Carter Cave material just up the interstate. That is a possibility like Pickaway said. I've got a lot to learn about material types!

Thanks for the help!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions