Camp site question .

GroundS.KeepeR

Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee
Found a camp site...about 40 steps to the left,in the woods there is a fresh water spring that slopes down hill to another flat , then a little ways to the river. My question is,how far away from the camp,do you think the Indians hunted .another words were would be the best place to start other then the camp/plowed field ? I'm thinking when the river drops that would be a good place to start..your thoughts ? Thanks....

Upvote 0

Seadog72

Mar 29, 2014
Stewart County, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Other
I have an old campground on my property (I think). Complete with numerous "chipping piles" I call them and old piles of broken pottery. An ancient "trace" runs through the back part of the property, north to south. I don't intentionally dig, but when tilling the garden we find dozens of pieces and we put in a pool about 7 yrs ago and found 100s of pieces. Don't know the exact answer to your question but I would imagine when they occupied the site, they sent hunting parties out so however ambitious they were coupled with how hungry depended on distance traveled. It's rare here to find anything unless its near an old camp site or along a creek/river. Happy hunting!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is possible that they fished in the river, you may find some fish hooks in and around the camp site, you never know. As for hunting, I'm sure that they would have gone some distance to hunt.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd look for a point by the river that would constrict to trap the prey for the easier kill. If you find two hills that close off to a wall basically this can be part of a mountain that is where i would look. Plus I would search the heck out of the campsite you could find middens as that is what they would do. They would leave them there so when they camped again at that site they had tools already. There are many spots to search by a campsite but i would look for those....

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also look nearby where game would funnel through. (the low area between two hills)

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing to think about is that if a site was on a hill over the 1,000's of years it will move or melt downward from the hill top, are at least that's what happens where I live. Has for where would they hunt, that would be anywhere, like Digger said a place where game was funneled into is a great spot to look, a ravine, canyon or just where the land scape was the easiest for the game to go. When I hunted out west you would always find game in the draws, believe it are not animals like to take the easiest path like we do.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tops of ridges are also good areas to look. Ridges are good areas to spot for game while working points.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The body of water moving through the area naturally cutting through the years of soil would be the obvious place to hunt... In my opinion.
In all likelihood the water has probably changed course several times during the last few thousand years.. I would look for stone artifacts where stone of similar size collects in the body of water.. And check the banks for things that have been eroded out during past flood stages.
Using the camp as a center point follow the body of water up and downstream until you don't find any more artifacts... Then when the water rises wait for to drop and start the process all over again... That's the way I would do it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread