The coolest artifact I have ever found, and thiink I will ever find.....

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went hiking with my sister and my dad, because we were bored and wanted to just get out, and we found this...... 2014-05-04 15.38.18.jpg 2014-05-04 15.39.15.jpg 2014-05-04 15.39.26.jpg This is what the area we were hiking in looks like, and that is all I will say.... 0328091714a.jpg 0214091728a.jpg So cool! I pray no one finds it an vandalizes it....

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow was that on your property? Nice find

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Nice!! To actually see the hand prints.... It does something to me! Kinda gives me goose bumps or cold chills..... But.... In a good way. That is a banner find. Can you tell what the "paint" is concocted of? Cool!'n

OP
OP
IAMZIM

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!! To actually see the hand prints.... It does something to me! Kinda gives me goose bumps or cold chills..... But.... In a good way. That is a banner find. Can you tell what the "paint" is concocted of? Cool!'n
I looked very close, and I am not sure what the paint could be made of, but I know this....It looks alittle faded because of the actual decomposition of the rock, which is granite. And whatever the paint is made of, it reminds me of a kind of "concrete like mud paste" when I look close at it. (That is just my description) So... when I look close it looks alot like it was a "paste"-type of paint. My best try at a discription!

OP
OP
IAMZIM

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow was that on your property? Nice find
This was on Forest service land. I can honestly see why this is still intact because the area it is in is very vast and maze-like because of the granite boulder formations everywhere. I could spend a 100 years hiking in here and probably not even come close to finding everything there is to be found here! Just last year a few hikers found an old mine that had 80 year old boxes of dynamite that were sitting outside, leaking nitro glycerin, and the BLM/Sherriffs had to come in and they basicly closed all the roads off and blew it up because it was too unsafe to remove. You would think that an 80 year old box of dynamite would have been noticed sooner, at least I would! But again, I say, this is a LARGE area, lots of elk, deer, bears, wolves, even recently a lynx and a wolverine spotted in this area. Its remote, but accesable!

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock art experts usually call the paint, "red ochre" - its just iron-rich red dirt mixed with water and sometimes animal fat. It has been carbon-dated beyond 500 yrs.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a tremendous find! I bet you feel like an Indiana Jones, and are the first to find it.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should report your find to the Forest industry. It might be something they should protect. I would hate for some people to find it and destroy it. Im sure they might know it is there but just incase. They can put a fence around it or some type of shelter to help prevent it from breaking down any further maybe preserve it. Just a thought

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i know a couple spots in the desert with pecked pictographs. hard to find and hidden. nice spot!

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rarer then pecked petroglyphs and just as deserving of protection. Not a bad idea letting the Forest Service personnel
at the property know, although don't be too surprised if it's been surveyed already. And ofttimes, it's isolation is it's best and only protection.

OP
OP
IAMZIM

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rarer then pecked petroglyphs and just as deserving of protection. Not a bad idea letting the Forest Service personnel
at the property know, although don't be too surprised if it's been surveyed already. And ofttimes, it's isolation is it's best and only protection.
I have a friend who is a retired BLM guy and he says it has been surveyed and the BLM knows about it. And he said what you said...being isolated is what has protected it! I asked him what tribe they thought it may have come from, and he said the area was mostly known as Blackfoot territory, but there were a lot of other tribes around, Bannack, Salish, Flathead and a few others (I cant remember the names he said) used to hunt the area as well, but he personally was thinking Blackfoot...

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find! It makes me want to go out exploring. It looks like there was some older pictures behind maybe at one time. What a great place. Hope you find more, maybe check out google earth for some more sites!!

mcb66

Mar 17, 2009
Try using DStretch program on the images and see what pops up. Sometimes it is remarkable what is nearly invisible to the eye with pictographs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions