Any ideas?

TroyJames

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What is it and what's its value? Found in Grimes County texas. image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be a type of Tang Knife. Value on arrowheads and knifes aren't allot. That one you wont get rich on.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Value on damage points not usually high. ...

Personally I am not a believer in restored points.....It is like buying modern knapped points....Again just my personal opinion. ..If I found it I would keep it as found...

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other

Personally I am not a believer in restored points.....It is like buying modern knapped points....Again just my personal opinion. ..If I found it I would keep it as found...

so would i
i think it is cool

San Antone

Jun 1, 2014
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star,
Garrett Ace 350,
Fisher Gemini-3
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a damaged/re worked corner tang knife. I like the size of it. I also would not restore any point. As far as value, it is not in the best of shape. Maybe a G6. Could get anywhere from $50 to $80 for it. Maybe more. It is worth whatever a collector will pay for it.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I'm seeing is an incomplete piece... it looks like it was on its way to becoming a-side notched point/blade and just isn't finished.
There seems to be a change in the patina around the notch and on that side but even on the "freshly" exposed material there seems to be a good amount of mineralization so my guess would be it was found by another Native American at a later time and worked on for a bit.
Probably found as a large blade or late stage preform with a concave base

Last edited:

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an unfinished greenbrier or it was a knife broke leaving the ear shape I have one that was a long stem adena broke at base it looked just like and ear haha but who knows nice find ;)

San Antone

Jun 1, 2014
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star,
Garrett Ace 350,
Fisher Gemini-3
Primary Interest:
Other
Finally broke down and bought the latest edition, 2011, of Stone Artifacts of Texas Indians. There are a lot of changes and new classifications that I was unaware of. One of these was the Pipe Creek Biface. This point sure looks like it could be one. What do you think? image.jpg image.jpg

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of names given to things that are just different steps in the knapping process in my opinion.
Unless there is evident use wear or resharpening I would call those...unfinished corner notched points.

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only sense I couldn't make out of it being configured like that would be to haft like this for use as a knife...but then the expansion of the stem would create a problem that makes no sense.
What's going on with the patina on the back side of that anyway?
Just the lighting? It looks rechipped

ForumRunner_20140808_151026.png

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be it was never finished and was going to have matching tang on opposite side or as Gator said it could have been a knife.....

San Antone

Jun 1, 2014
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star,
Garrett Ace 350,
Fisher Gemini-3
Primary Interest:
Other
I think Gator Boy is right. It is an unusual point though. I have seen a few with only one notch but not with that thin of a base. Very unique.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other

yep yep
i gotta agree........
.......but i know that the Treasure_Hunter means no disrespect either and he likes the Dr.Gomer just like i do..........if i wanna buy a vintage guitar
i won't pay full value for a refinished piece worth maybe 1/3 value
i have had dr gomer restore some huge fish hooks that i am so amazed by that i cannot even figure out how he can do such a wunderful job with.....
and he did a giant side notch KRF knife he did also and he studies the flaking patterns and duplicates them so perfectly and i love it

he is great and he knows what he is doing

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread