Cahokia Discoidal?

rocke

Jul 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this a Cahokia Discoidal. It seems to be too large to be one based on most of the images I have seen. It is 6" round and 3" thick. The material seems to be smooth granite, not quartz.

DSC01933.JPG DSC01932.JPG

Could it be something else?

Thanks for your comments.

Upvote 0

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it a discoidal ? I would say yes, if it's authentic ( a St. Louis Cahokia discoidal, I don't know). Discoidals are found in a great variety of sizes , form, and refinement, and also various geological materials. If the one pictured is authentic, it would be of great interest to a serious.collecter of Discoidals

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I think there are a three different Cahokia style discoidals (out of about 15 different types), but it certainly looks Cahokian influence to me. How deep is the cupping on each side?

Joshua

OP
OP
R

rocke

Jul 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was not found but is from a collection purchased in the 1920's.

It is 6" in diameter, 3" in width, cups are 3/4" deep, weighs 7 lbs. and is not quartz. The edge of the cup is about 1/2" in from the edge.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey rocke I was at a show yesterday and a guy found this one local and it is made from quartz. Its perfect and the owner was offered a huge $ amount for it. I don't know if the guy was serious or not on the price. It was one of those prices that you could buy a almost new truck with. He actually turned it down what an amazing thing. I would of had to flip a coin to help me decide. Here it is its a real beauty for sure and perfect. Found in N GA.

Attachments

• 100_3699.JPG
    100_3699.JPG
    289.2 KB · Views: 101

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread