Pipes--Real or Fake

rocke

Jul 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Below are two large pipes that appear to be stone. I did not find these. The are part of a collection bought in the 1020's by a family member and have been in my family since then.

They both look fairly ridiculous to me. Is it possible that they could be real or just bad fakes from the 1920's. I have very little experience but I have not seen any other pipes that look anything like this.

The one square pipe has some very strange scratches/markings on it and a lot of soot inside.

DSC01943.JPG DSC01942.JPG DSC01944.JPG DSC01949.JPG DSC01948.JPG [

The carved head pipe has the eagle on one side and a bow and arrow on the other side. Again, they seem to be to much of a stereotype to be authentic. And I don't know if the head is a portrait of a native American.

ATTACH=CONFIG]1031522[/ATTACH] DSC01945.JPG DSC01947.JPG DSC01950.JPG

Thanks for all your expertise.

Attachments

• DSC01946.JPG
    DSC01946.JPG
    223.4 KB · Views: 118
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being that old they could possibly be Trade Pipes from the late 1800's to early 1900's. More than likely though just early settler types. You know they are at least almost 100 years old since your family got them in 1920. I don't think they are much older than that though.

OP
OP
R

rocke

Jul 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being that old they could possibly be Trade Pipes from the late 1800's to early 1900's. More than likely though just early settler types. You know they are at least almost 100 years old since your family got them in 1920. I don't think they are much older than that though.

Interesting ideas, thanks.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I see they have been craved by hand, but Native Americans made items to trade to whites way back. I have never seen a bird done like that and the round designs look just like a wagon wheel with 8 spokes(just what most had) and the squares with the cross marks do look like a flag. Not saying I'm right but just what I see. I do think Reaper is on the right track for sure. They are cool and I would keep them just because they came from family. Thanks posting:thumbsup:

JRedHorse

Feb 1, 2015
from NH relocating to FL summer 2015
Detector(s) used
I have a Teknetics Gamma 6000 Metal Detector but will be upgrading when I hit FL.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting items you have there, they appear to be what we call "Starter pipes" used to train new pipe makers that would account for the disconnected theme of designs on the pipe, different symbols that are not connected in any way, a starter pipe will have crude designs from the student practicing different designs on the same pipe, I am pretty sure this is what you have and it is a great example of a starter pipe, we would use softer stone until we were very good at carving then we would move on to the coveted red catlinite (Red Pipe stone) .

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Commendations to monsterrack and JRedHorse for practical and informed wise counsel, and congrats. On super find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread