Implement Strikes on Pipestone

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Being only 20 couple miles from the NA quarries at Pipestone MN. I find an occasion piece of the stuff.

Just thought I'd share what kind of marks are left when a good soft stone is struck. I was surprised at how much material can be removed that suddenly with out breaking the piece.

DSCN3883.JPG

If anybody would like some pipestone to mess around with, I have some decent sized quarried pieces to work or play with. Just PM me about it.

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like plow and disc marks like I see in the fields.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
you must have a lot of soapstone laying around. I never see grooves this deep in any other stone.

You may have just answered the question I was thinking of asking. I am not familiar with "pipestone", is it pretty much the same thing as "soapstone"? The piece you are holding there doesn't look quite as mottled or grainy as the soapstone I have seen a little bit of here back east. Thank you.

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
The pipestone we have is usually pretty much solid colored, between red and purple with very little mottling, we see some white layered in there sometimes too. It is pretty soft, very similar to soapstone I'd venture to say. Here is a better shot of a pendant I have showing the actual color a little better.

DSCN2990.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread