Recent acquisition

BayRockMan

Sep 14, 2014
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While field work is most enjoyable, we also hunt for artifacts at estate sales in the Chesapeake Bay area. Below are pictures of a stone tool from a recent estate that was part of a lot. Other items included were fossils, arrowheads, and a mortar. But this tool is unlike any we have seen to date. Grooved on both sides, each groove with a raised ridge. Small groove is slightly convex while the larger groove is heavily concave. Scale cube is 1 cm. Overall size is 15 x 10 x 3-5cm. Any help on identification would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Tool1.jpg
    Tool1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 134
  • Tool5.jpg
    Tool5.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 130
  • Tool4.jpg
    Tool4.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 121
  • Tool3.jpg
    Tool3.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 117
  • Tool2.jpg
    Tool2.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 120
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, just what kind of Tool do you think it is? I don't see anything that makes me think it could have been a Tool. What would they have used something like that for?

I hope you didn't spend a lot of money on it because I believe it is just a natural formation. There are a couple of creeks here in my area where you can find stones like that all over the place.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's really hard to say but it could have been something used to polish axe heads:dontknow:never seen one of these before. Welcome to Tnet:hello:

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
The only MAYBE I could think of was an elaborate abrading stone for an ancient knapper.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site.......lets see the arrowheads that was with it.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Really hard to say if it was used as a tool from photos. It looks like a naturally formed rock that had naturally formed grooves in it. The wider concave groove in the second photo looks totally natural and unmodified to me, while the thinner convex groove in the first and last photos looks like they may have worked it some to make it straighter and deeper. ???

OP
OP
B

BayRockMan

Sep 14, 2014
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a local museum that brought in an expert in Native American artifacts for a day and identified this piece as a shaft straightener on one side, and the other side looks to have been used for shaping / sharpening bone or antler material. Placed it in the early Woodland period.

I probably could have sold it on the spot, but it's back the collection.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
There was a local museum that brought in an expert in Native American artifacts for a day and identified this piece as a shaft straightener on one side, and the other side looks to have been used for shaping / sharpening bone or antler material. Placed it in the early Woodland period. I probably could have sold it on the spot, but it's back the collection.
I love happy endings. Glad you got some info. On this piece.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread