rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a flake type of tool to me. Probably a scraper has some nice color to it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need picture of flat side, not seeing anything yet to say artifact....

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not all flake tools are more than a chunk knocked off then some edge work put on them for a quick clean for the kill. The items they made with all of the flaking on them were the tools they planned on using over and over.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Not all flake tools are more than a chunk knocked off then some edge work put on them for a quick clean for the kill. The items they made with all of the flaking on them were the tools they planned on using over and over.

Amazing.

Edgework on flake tools, and on just about every other tool is simply just re-sharpening the edge.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With that line of thinking almost every tool would have started out with zero edge work that's simply incorrect

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What your describing here is 99.9% of the time just mother nature's natural work...

We do a disservice to new hunters when we encourage them to collect natural rock because there is less than a 1% chance man may have touched it once in ancient times.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is hard to tell if natural or man made without seeing the other side of this piece, like T hunter said. After reading this post the other day, a piece of gravel in a drive way at a oil plant caught my eye and made me think of this post. Edge chipping can come from a lot of actions, natural and man made. This piece if found in the right setting of camp sites or any other artifact type site, would be thought of as man chipped edge work, but it was made by trucks running over it for Lord knows how long. Another give away is that the chipping on the edge is to straight down and not more at a angle. 001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG The best flake tool and this is JMO is the first edge that comes off when the flake is struck, it is razor sharp at this point. I have skinned and 1/4 a whitetail deer with such a flake and it was still sharp enough to cut you after all that work. This just a thought but why sharpen an edge when you could just make a new flake unless you did not have anymore stone handy, because it is a lot faster to knock off a flake than put a edge on one, just a thought.

OP
OP
A
Sep 18, 2011
Thanks Monster Track, etc-
Based on your response-I have a follow up question. take a look at the attached piece. this was found in the woods-specifically on a trail used for walking.it was just below the surface. I have founds a few nice tools in the area-but could this be from simple wear and tear?

It is clearly unifaced-but the surface looks clearly modified.
Thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    553.1 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    536.4 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    820.6 KB · Views: 91

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I can see, there is evidence of other flakes taken off of this piece and the edge work could be from being walked on because the edge chipping is almost straight down or it could have been made that way. I for sure see were man altered this piece JMO.

OP
OP
A
Sep 18, 2011
the responses intrigue me. one more review requested. Same scenario-found in the woods along a trail. One sided is "worked"

NA's did live in the area until 1836.

Looks pretty legitimate to me. Any signs that this could be due to wear/tear and not intentional flaking?

note that one side is unifaced with slight ripples-hard to see in the image....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    847.7 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 85

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This piece looks more like pressure flaking, see how it goes back on the stone at a smaller angle, JMO it has been worked and what it was used for would be anyone's guess.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread