My mind has been blown!!!!

pigeonman

Jan 29, 2008
Salem NJ
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
got to see some picks from a bud who shared some finds over the years here in South Jersey Salem Co.the eagle effigy is mind blowing but the large round stone with the writing and horse and soldier/knight carved into it really took the cake.someone handed him a blank check and told him to fill it in for the large carved stone piece but he the owner turned it down. the large hand scaper is also museum quality along with the rest.any thoughts on the carved round stone object?

Attachments

• IMG_2753.JPG
    IMG_2753.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_2754.JPG
    IMG_2754.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_2755.JPG
    IMG_2755.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_2756.JPG
    IMG_2756.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_2757.JPG
    IMG_2757.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 173
Upvote 0

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take the blank check!!!!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
the key looking thing is a pretty common drill.....

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this post sure is interesting.. I'll just say the carved stone thing looks like oxidized lead or pewter and probably a button or seal of some kind.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an interesting piece (the knight) and should be relatively easy to do some research on. The thunderbird was not necessarily important to all native people, at least not the classic representation associated with the southwest. I'm not familiar with the prehistoric culture of your area. I do know it's a popular motif with modern flint knappers, and they turn out some pretty well made ones. You can usually find them for sale in tourist traps in Indian Country. Does your friend have any flint fish hooks in his collection?

OP
OP
pigeonman

pigeonman

Jan 29, 2008
Salem NJ
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the large round knights stone is about 12 inches round and weights close to 11 pounds. was found in a field several years ago along with the bird effigy,why would someone throw that bird effigy out in the middle of now where for some one to find? I know its hard for some to believe its real but as I said the person who found it is very trust worthy.he does have fish hooks along with tons of other objects.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I completely believe he has stone fish hooks

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the large round knights stone is about 12 inches round and weights close to 11 pounds. was found in a field several years ago along with the bird effigy,why would someone throw that bird effigy out in the middle of now where for some one to find? I know its hard for some to believe its real but as I said the person who found it is very trust worthy.he does have fish hooks along with tons of other objects.

Here is another synopsis. It would be extremely difficult to convince an experienced collector. I really know nothing about them, but I do know the reaction is more or less universal by now:

Artifact Forum | Arrowheads.com :: Topic: Thunderbird & Eagle Effigies (1/1)

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BTW, flint fishhooks, if that is what you are referring to, is another red flag to collectors, in the same category as flint thunderbirds. They are not regarded as genuine prehistoric either. No disrespect to you, you probably are simply unaware of all this. Might as well listen to the good folks here.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and I still believe it to be REAL

The thing is pigeonman that there has never been a Flint Thunderbird found in a Grave, a Mound, or on any archaeological dig site. NEVER!! NEVER EVER!! NEVER EVER NEVER!!

Yet, there seems to literally be thousands of these things posted on sites. I have a book written in the 1880's that has an entire chapter about these types of pieces. The Thunderbirds, Eagles, Turtles, Buffalos, Fish Hooks, etc made from Flint were being faked as far back as 125 years ago and probably earlier than that. They were considered fake then and still are today.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
...my grandad once bought some land in Florida sight unseen......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread