Mighty-fine Madison?

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this little beauty last week but just got pics uploaded…I think it is a Madison, but would welcome suggestions from others. I tried to include some views at multiple angles..it is thin enough that light passes through.
DSC09375.JPG DSC09377.JPG DSC09374.JPG DSC09376.JPG DSC09378.JPG

Upvote 0

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think that's a madison.....

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to see a ground base (though I was hoping to see that, maybe you can see it- That's what I was 'Seeing' last night...), but the flute seems to be there. Maybe Pigeon Side Notch... see what you think- according to this (from Archaeology at Wilson-Warren.edu (the flake patterns don't seem to be right though).

(Keel)
This triangular blade has concave or straight sides. The length is twice the width. The base can be incurvate, excurvate, or straight and thinned with pressure flaking. The side notches are very shallow measuring 1 mm deep and 1-3 mm wide. Points range from 28-39 mm long, 13-23 mm wide, and 6-8 mm thick. This point is made by percussion-flaking with pressure-flaking along the edges and side notches. This is an Early Woodland point.​

I don't have time now- and I was too tired last night to get a proper look at it (it's a beauty, BTW). x2 check base. Flute, right? Is it exhausted or simply small/ secondary flaking? Lovely material :thumbsup:
I'll keep looking when I can home from work.

Maybe someone else will jump in, hopefully...

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that has a very old look too it,really nice point for sure.could be a plainview

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice little point Im not sure on it but maybe somebody else will know.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sure is a beautiful point, I wouldn't mind finding one like that. :icon_thumleft:

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever it is.........it is mighty fine! Thanks for showing.

OP
OP
eastTNJoe

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are the edges ground near the base?

I have the hardest time figuring that out…I will pull it out in a little bit and feel it and take some more pics…thanks to all for the suggestions!

OP
OP
eastTNJoe

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to see a ground base (though I was hoping to see that, maybe you can see it- That's what I was 'Seeing' last night...), but the flute seems to be there. Maybe Pigeon Side Notch... see what you think- according to this (from Archaeology at Wilson-Warren.edu (the flake patterns don't seem to be right though).

(Keel)
This triangular blade has concave or straight sides. The length is twice the width. The base can be incurvate, excurvate, or straight and thinned with pressure flaking. The side notches are very shallow measuring 1 mm deep and 1-3 mm wide. Points range from 28-39 mm long, 13-23 mm wide, and 6-8 mm thick. This point is made by percussion-flaking with pressure-flaking along the edges and side notches. This is an Early Woodland point.​

I don't have time now- and I was too tired last night to get a proper look at it (it's a beauty, BTW). x2 check base. Flute, right? Is it exhausted or simply small/ secondary flaking? Lovely material :thumbsup:
I'll keep looking when I can home from work.

Maybe someone else will jump in, hopefully...

Thanks for all the input!
Here are some more pics
DSC09389.JPG DSC09386.JPG DSC09385.JPG DSC09388.JPG DSC09391.JPG DSC09387.JPG DSC09393.JPG DSC09384.JPG DSC09390.JPG DSC09392.JPG

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe you are right enough. They are Mississippian just like guntersvile hamiltons and madison. They are common in your area. I have a pile of them if you want to see some like examples.All in our Dallas phase. Base not ground. Its an arrow point.
You found a real nice one

Last edited:
OP
OP
eastTNJoe

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe you are right enough. They are Mississippian just like guntersvile hamiltons and madison. They are common in your area. I have a pile of them if you want to see some like examples.All in our Dallas phase. Base not ground. Its an arrow point.
You found a real nice one

Thanks TNMTNS…of course I want to see some of yours! Post some pics! Hope you are doing well...

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_2849.JPG

Some will have a bifurcate base some won't. They made some of these even bigger and some very small. I have found then from about 30 miles above you to 50 miles below. This is just a few. Some of the work is fantastic as what you see in yours. If they are longer thinner they go in to the guntersville category . Dallas era triangle form the Chickamauga basin.

OP
OP
eastTNJoe

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1126606

Some will have a bifurcate base some won't. They made some of these even bigger and some very small. I have found then from about 30 miles above you to 50 miles below. This is just a few. Some of the work is fantastic as what you see in yours. If they are longer thinner they go in to the guntersville category . Dallas era triangle form the Chickamauga basin.

Thanks man! Awesome info. My gut told me it was somewhere in the Guntersville/Madison range…but the little bit of stuff I've found at this spot was way earlier in era... so it seemed out of place a bit. I always appreciate your expertise.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the window you hunt is what 13,000 + to trade goods to removal. It has it all.Many types named for your area. Hope all is well. Tell your Dad I said "Howdy".

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
real nice point, great pix too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread