• IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 248
Upvote 0

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Save your money, these are modern reproductions. Some of the points could be legitimate, but the hardstone and many (if not all) of the points are not ancient.

Put them out on a shelf and display them as decorative art, your grandpa would probably like that.

Agreed. It might sound a little harsh, but you could easily spend hundreds of more on papers that won't be worth anything.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save your money, these are modern reproductions. Some of the points could be legitimate, but the hardstone and many (if not all) of the points are not ancient.

Put them out on a shelf and display them as decorative art, your grandpa would probably like that.

Wondering how you would know they are replicas...just curious what stands out that makes them one.

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NCPeaches, I believe your referring to the "spud" , a.k.a. "Spatulate".
This website might be helpful...
Stone Spuds Page 1 - Lithic Casting Lab.Com
www.lithiccastinglab.com/.../2006january...
Dec 31, 2005 - Chert and granite spuds are represented. ... Age In North America, "a protest against the word spud.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
Yeah, the hardstone just don't look right ( bet most of the pipes were made by the same guy)... the paleo are too pretty, looks like plenty of authentic field grade points though.

Americus

Silver Member
Sep 18, 2008
I am blown away with the quality and quantity of his collection. Thanks for sharing.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is some nice stuff, but like the others have said some look a lot iffy. What gets my eye is that the pipes have forums that don't look just right and they are made of the same stone, but without having it in my hand, I just can't say. The rest of your grandfathers collection looks nice and I would have someone look at it, that knows about artifacts and put it in another display. Thanks for posting

rocky ALLETI

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2014
Youngstown, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does not takie a genius to see that they are poor modern repos. None of the banners and pipes look even close to what they are supposed to look like and it looks like they same person made them all.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does not takie a genius to see that they are poor modern repos. None of the banners and pipes look even close to what they are supposed to look like and it looks like they same person made them all.

Really? I wish that guy's Grandpa was around to clarify. Why don't one of you that are saying they are repos post some that you think are not to compare with these so us non-genius people can see the differences you're seeing.

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If those were dug out of a mound they could be made of the same material. But the pipe bowl should have some patina in it. Along with the other artifacts made of the same material. I was thinking modern before I read the other posts. JMO.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
...which is why they should be looked at

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the points that are wire wrapped appeared to be good pieces... But the hardstone items just arent right, unfortunately... However, they do make nice displays as examples of things that could have been made. The styles just arent correct, even some of the actual stone isnt quite right. As modern art though, they are nice... Id love to see more of the flint arrowheads though...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread