A first for me

PalmettoPride

Nov 13, 2014
Lexington South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been seriously collecting Native American artifacts for a little more than two years & like most my ultimate goal has been to find a Clovis point. I had not found any points older than transitional Paleo prior to this week.

I recently secured permission to walk several fields on a large tract of land adjacent to a river. I spent a couple of hours on the property Monday evening & found the point base that is pictured. It looked like it could possibly be a Clovis so today I took it to an archeaologist at the University of South Carolina who is an

FB_IMG_1427487253212.jpg

FB_IMG_1427487228209.jpg

expert in Clovis and pre - Clovis artifacts. Much to my surprise he said that my broken point is the base of a PRE-Clovis point! He said it is similar to some pre-clovis points found at the Catus Hill site.

It doesn't look like much but it is my best find to date. I'm heading back to the site tomorrow in search of that whole Clovis...

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's crazy I wonder how he came up with pre Clovis did he even mention Guilford Yuma or Guildford blade?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just tossing it out there congratulations on the new spot to hunt regardless

ForumRunner_20150327_171302.png

ForumRunner_20150327_171317.png

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh.. All Goodyear
That's the gentleman that has some theories that he was coming up with artifacts 50,000 years old in South Carolina if I remember correctly.
I did say pre Clovis in my response before I was just asking if anything was mentioned about Guilford and wondering what information he used to come up with a pre Clovis theory on that small piece of quartz.
A lot of his theories are pretty controversial to say the least

OP
OP
P

PalmettoPride

Nov 13, 2014
Lexington South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't ask how he came up with pre - Clovis. I took it to him because he is the expert so I didn't question him

So how did you come up with Guilford-Yuma based on a photo of that small piece of quartz?

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Luck with your Clovis quest, it may take a while, but it's a fun journey.

Here's mine, after about 30 years of searching, double fluted, 2 3/8" long.

100_0693.JPG 100_0694.JPG

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess he likely called the point a Hall River. Some call them Hardaway blades. Some believe they may be the pre-clovis and split into to traditions. Hardaway and the Clovis. Here's an old article in 2005 Central States by Mr Peck.
002.JPG 003.JPG 005.JPG

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love it! Maybe you will find the other half in another hunt. My oldest is a transitional paleo and I also have hopes to find a Clovis at some point in time. Are there any creeks on the property you hunt? I find everything in a creek on my property.

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess he likely called the point a Hall River. Some call them Hardaway blades. Some believe they may be the pre-clovis and split into to traditions. Hardaway and the Clovis. Here's an old article in 2005 Central States by Mr Peck.
View attachment 1137916 View attachment 1137918 View attachment 1137920

The slight notch and concavity and it being milky quartz might be why it could be a HAW River style, which was very early in NC. Also found in the Cactus Hill studies in VA.

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been around a few times when Dr. Goodyear and Mr. Peck have handled and discussed Haw River points. I have only heard them say may be pre-clovis Hall River. Or may be Hardaway Blade/pre-form. Many quartz Hardaways would look a lot like your piece before they are notched. Still some un-certainty at this point I believe. Still very old either way.
805.JPG

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, one way or another, you're in a good spot to find oldies. Good luck on your next hunt :thumbsup:

OP
OP
P

PalmettoPride

Nov 13, 2014
Lexington South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I guess we'll never know for sure what it is but I'm happy to find a partial point that's at least transitional Paleo if not older. It's only my third point that pre-dates the Early Archaic period.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread