Large arrow head or tree shaped rock?

littledb26

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I found this up in New Hampshire about 4" down. I have never found anything like this before so I have no idea what it is. I showed it to several people, most of them said it looked to be a very old spearhead or arrow head, one person said it was a coincidence. I have no idea, any thoughts? Thanks!

20150424_133413~2.jpg 20150424_133406~2.jpg

Upvote 0

bammer

Apr 5, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are the dimensions of the item? It sort of looks worked. The flat part towards to point is very thick and wouldn't help it be a good spear or arrow. Maybe the person working this item gave up without finishing it due to the type of stone.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first glance it definitely looks like a stemmed projectile points but then I looked closer and I couldn't see any work ...that led me to do a little research on the material used in your area and from the looks of it it didn't hold up very well over time and was probably very difficult to work with which may have led to some different styles of manufacture.
My best guess would be that there's too much coincidence going on and you have found a stemmed projectile point

zNevilleKK.jpg

OP
OP
L

littledb26

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is about 3" from tip to end and at its thickest part about 1/4". I would love for it to be real, however if it does not appear to be real, I will paint it, drill a hole in the top and hang it on my Christmas tree ;-)

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just tried to tell you it appears to be real from what I've looked at I would definitely wait until somebody who knows more about your area or you've done some more research before you go destroying it

OP
OP
L

littledb26

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just tried to tell you it appears to be real from what I've looked at I would definitely wait until somebody who knows more about your area or you've done some more research before you go destroying it

I was only joking, sorry. To me it looks like I have something, I am only looking for some insight. I see all these pictures of arrow heads and think that they look like rocks. Then in a great burst of irony, I find something that looks like an arrow head ( albeit a rather large one) and get told it's a rock. If mine turns out not to be real, I will probably never find one. It's all good, regardless, I'm not putting it on my tree. I thank you and the others for any information as I have zero experience with this sort of stuff. Thank you again! :-D

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The picture I posted is a projectile point From New Hampshire I think it would be in your best interest to use your computer to do a little research on New Hampshire projectile points and the materials that were used to make them you will see a lot of example and probably learn a few things. I found what looks to be the same material and a bunch of information in about 30 seconds
Good luck

OP
OP
L

littledb26

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I did do some research, but I was looking for the wrong thing. Denise

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's a Middle Archaic period Neville point. Named for a site in New Hampshire. Figure in the 7000-8000 year old range.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think its finished on one side. Have you washed it? Welcome to the site by the way.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my opinion, but it appears to be a natural rock that consequently is in the shape of a point. But of coarse I could be wrong.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just my opinion, but it appears to be a natural rock that consequently is in the shape of a point. But of coarse I could be wrong.

You know, the closer I look at it, the more I'm inclined to agree. It looks like an extremely poor grade of quartzite. Most of the points we find are on waterways. We can find what I call "erased points", points so water worn they can look more like geofacts then artifacts. With experience, however, you recognize them, and you usually can detect some relic flaking.
This piece was not found in water, and nowhere does there seem to be evidence of flaking. It truly does not look like it was ever flaked. Maybe you're right after all.

From left to right one argillite(argillaceous slate) and 3 very water worn quartzite points. Experience won't miss these but they are approaching "erased" condition, lacking flaking from ages of active water wear. The point in this thread should not have water wear, and may very well be a coincidence after all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
it's the tip that bothers me...that isn't much of a point with that wide bevel and all.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
With a material like argillaceous shale, for instance, it can end up like the example GatorBoy shows, which looks like argillaceous shale in fact, which is called argillite where found in NJ and PA. Weathering alone, in the absence of water, will virtually erase the flaking. The quartzite Brewerton Eared Triangle shown below is the best example I have of what happens when a very low grade quartzite weathers in a water environment. An "erased point", a point looking more like a geofact then artifact. Yet, you can see the notches, ears, even the faint hint of a grinning strike. A quartzite point but one that would be questioned by many, perhaps. Just as the point in this thread leads to questions of artifact or geofact?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    533.3 KB · Views: 231
OP
OP
L

littledb26

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I have not washed it yet. It wasn't found in the water but right next to small brook essentially in front of Mt. Monadnock. I showed it to a few more people who believe it was worked but not necessarily used for anything due to the thickness. So, I still have no answers, but I like it and I will put it away. I would love to find an actual arrow head some day, it's on my bucket list!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I would do is focus a little bit more time in the same area you found that if you start finding more evidence I would think it would add to your case with that one

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first glance it definitely looks like a stemmed projectile points but then I looked closer and I couldn't see any work ...that led me to do a little research on the material used in your area and from the looks of it it didn't hold up very well over time and was probably very difficult to work with which may have led to some different styles of manufacture.
My best guess would be that there's too much coincidence going on and you have found a stemmed projectile point

View attachment 1151518

I agree ;) nice find

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I showed it to a man who's familiar with lithics from up your way, and even he thought it was a tough one to call. Very symmetrical, but no evidence of knapping. Possibly a G10 geofact, but then again...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread