my grandfathers ant pile beads

dirttracker

Greenie
May 30, 2015
florida
Detector(s) used
none right now-more of a rock hound-I used to detect but haven't done it in 10 years.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandfather lived on the Great Divide. He passed the time killing rattle snakes and riding his horse all over the 4 corners. My mom said he would sift ant piles to find these.Not sure where he found them but he was a" 4 corners traveler" ..one of the beads appears to be a fossilized plant stem(?),some round rocks(any ideas what these are?), and what appears to be some painting pots?? The top left shoe looking one still has red dye when I look thru my 60x scope. The points are some of the crude stuff he found that's not in storage. He must have found the obsidian pieces broken because about half of them where glued back together.I will take pics of his collection soon and see if I cant share. If anyone has any insight Id love to learn.

Attachments

• DSC_0018.JPG
    DSC_0018.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 346
  • DSC_0019.JPG
    DSC_0019.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 355
  • DSC_0025.JPG
    DSC_0025.JPG
    713.1 KB · Views: 412
  • DSC_0030.JPG
    DSC_0030.JPG
    910.2 KB · Views: 405
  • DSC_0044.JPG
    DSC_0044.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 299
Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The black artifact ones look like obsidian. Beads are very nice to.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some stones mined from ant hills are considered special and to be sacred. They hold magic properties when combined in certain amounts and used in various applications by several Western Tribes. The ants have been observed dragging these small stones to their ant hills, sometimes requiring the combined effort of several ants to move the stones. Lakota Medicine Men have 405 of these small stones mined from the ant hills in their gourd rattles, and they are considered very powerful objects. Cheers!!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, Slingshot. Why were they considered sacred and what is the significance of 405?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to hear more about this also I seem to remember the number 405 having something to do with a vision quest

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Lakota consider the stones as special because the ants expend tremendous amounts of energy and time in dragging them to their ant hills and placing them there. The 405 is part of the Lakota belief of 405 sacred trees that exist in their territory. I'm not Lakota, and hope I have those statements correct, but would appreciate any further comments from any Lakota on these boards. I picked that information up from the book LAME DEER SEEKER OF VISIONS by John (Fire) Lame Deer and Richard Erdoes, which I highly recommend, and have read several times myself. Being Cherokee I find all Native American culture very interesting and have studied it since I began to read. I think most people have a difficult time understanding our culture because they lack the contact with the natural world that the NA's had to have to survive, but it clicks with people who spend a lot of time outdoors in the wild versus those who live their lives out in highly populated areas. Cheers!!

OP
OP
D

dirttracker

Greenie
May 30, 2015
florida
Detector(s) used
none right now-more of a rock hound-I used to detect but haven't done it in 10 years.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cannot thank you all enough for the wealth of information. I've looked all over the internet to find the answer to these questions for quite some time. My grandfather hunted, fished and trapped his entire.He was on his horse a lot according to my mom which gave him lots of time to look at the ground for stuff. He was a true outdoorsman. He left me a lot of neat stuff and lots of great memories. I feel blessed to have found a great group of folks who are willing to share their knowledge with a complete stranger. TNet rocks!!

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
The rocks in the second picture look similar to some unpolished Apache Tears I was given recently.

dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful beads! The strings of white and red beads quite often come from California, the Sacramento area. Used to be be that you could screen them out of the dirt in some areas. The red ones are "green hearts" because of their dark green glass cores, and are older than the "white hearts" that were used by the Hudson's Bay Company around the turn of the century. My understanding is that they are from burial platforms in the hills east of Sacramento, tho I could be wrong there. But I have seen many strings just like that with a "near Sacramento" provenance. Have some myself.
ShovelinDave is right about the crinoid. I see some faceted "Blue Russians" there as well, they are my favorites. Again, a lot come from N. California up to Washington, and around the Columbia River.
THANK YOU all for the anthill stories, that's very cool, in all the years that I've collected beads, I haven't heard those.
Anyone here that can confirm? Ever found "anthill beads"?

D.E.A.P.

Jul 8, 2015
BC Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are stories of pioneers who were crossing the planes to settle the west who found beads on anthills.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a tiny point this year on a ant hill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions