The Greedy COA people.

Igyjastabay

May 28, 2014
The Beach SW FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ever noticed the little boys who claim they can authenticate ancient stone never appear on forums.. Its like: Ok I am going to start a business with artifacts. I am going to sell them and authenticate them, but noooo, I will not stoop so low to make a comment on an artifact board. Lots of stupid people out there that give them business (political comment rule violation) Its disgusting to an intelligent man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Igyjastabay

Igyjastabay

May 28, 2014
The Beach SW FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know how these men who claim they are authenticators can sleep at night. Its a racket. Karma bites and I know.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some good artifact authentication services. Over street, Jackson Galleries and Dwain Rogers come to mind.

On another note please keep politics out of your posts unless posting in our politics forum, it violates our rules..

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Ever noticed the little boys who claim they can authenticate ancient stone never appear on forums.. Its like: Ok I am going to start a business with artifacts. I am going to sell them and authenticate them, but noooo, I will not stoop so low to make a comment on an artifact board. Lots of stupid people out there that give them business (political comment rule violation) Its disgusting to an intelligent man.

Boy am I glad you came along with all this amazing insight of yours. Since you must be one of the intelligent, can someone send them to you if they are not sure?

I would love to introduce you to a couple I know so you could go off on them "little boys" in person.

My bet is they don't come to places like this is because they don't want to be swamped with people that don't know or are unsure expecting picture authenticating, and they are to busy authenticating for all those stupid folk out there.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be like a doctor who had people at a party constantly asking them "doc I have this pain here, what is it"?..

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy am I glad you came along with all this amazing insight of yours. Since you must be one of the intelligent, can someone send them to you if they are not sure?

I would love to introduce you to a couple I know so you could go off on them "little boys" in person.

My bet is they don't come to places like this is because they don't want to be swamped with people that don't know or are unsure expecting picture authenticating, and they are to busy authenticating for all those stupid folk out there.

I'm of the opinion that COA's are like every other field of employment including whatever yours is "original poster". There are "very good and very bad and everything in between. My own profession not excluded, and I could include Doctors, Lawyers, politicians, paperboys and on and on.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I'm of the opinion that COA's are like every other field of employment including whatever yours is "original poster". There are "very good and very bad and everything in between. My own profession not excluded, and I could include Doctors, Lawyers, politicians, paperboys and on and on.

Amen!

I KNOW, there's good ones and bad ones. If there was no need, they wouldn't exist. It's the most basic of free market principles.

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this sounds dumb, but please tell me. What does COA stand for, and what do they do? :dontknow:

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Famous words, buy the rock, not the paper.

Well of course! A paper just tags along with the rock. In many cases it is the only it form provenance, and many value it.

It's well know that often times many different items (and they don't have to be ancient or even very old at times) bring way more money with a COA than without. There are well versed people affiliated with many collectables that know their stuff well enough that their opinions are valued, even often sought after, and will issues papers. I wonder if they receive the same flack for issuing their certificates of authenticity.

I have noticed how often people are asked if they have coa's accompanying the many different items on the Pawn Stars show, has anyone else?

I'd bet most, NOT ALL authenticators, like most others that are self employed, care about their reputation and income enough to exercise good business practices.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When an artifact has no providence a COA from a reputable source increases the value... It is like a signature of a famous person, good luck selling it without a COA.....

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
It would be like a doctor who had people at a party constantly asking them "doc I have this pain here, what is it"?..

I can't tell you how much I hate this when I am at parties. Please, leave me alone! I came here to relax and have a good time. However, I have given a lot of free medical advice on this of forum with absolutely no reimbursement. Nor would I ever want any. However, the advice is given at my choice and at my choosing. We call this Altruism. Most people enjoy donating their skills to some extent. Very few want their skills to be donated on demand. Something to think about...Many layers to it...like an onion.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't tell you how much I hate this when I am at parties. Please, leave me alone! I came here to relax and have a good time. However, I have given a lot of free medical advice on this of forum with absolutely no reimbursement. Nor would I ever want any. However, the advice is given at my choice and at my choosing. We call this Altruism. Most people enjoy donating their skills to some extent. Very few want their skills to be donated on demand. Something to think about...Many layers to it...like an onion.
At a party once I told a doctor "my arm hurts when I twist it here", his told me " then don't twist it there".

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
What does COA stand for, and what do they do? :dontknow:

What is is - "Certificate of Authenticity."

What do they do - They prey on people to let them think they are buying points that are real.

When an artifact has no providence a COA from a reputable source increases the value... It is like a signature of a famous person, good luck selling it without a COA.....

The tide is turning on COAs now, due to all the bad apples out there.

I know some guys who spend BIG bucks on high-end points, and they have told me "I won't even look at a point if it has a COA." "If it were real - it wouldn't need a piece of paper trying to convince me it was."

There are some clever con artists who are churning out fake COAs with Perinos name and a couple other well-known authenticators names on them. Fake points - and fake COAs. What a mess.

I saw an old man's collection that he spent quite a bit on. He showed me his points and the COAs he had on them. And every single point was fake. I didn't have the heart to tell him, but the real shock will be to his family when he passes on, as he bought them as an investment and he thinks his family will be "set" when they go to sell them later.

Buy from trusted sources or from people who dig or collect themselves and who you can trust.

Otherwise - buying a point that is "papered" with a COA makes the point itself irrelevant. As long as the paper says it's "real," then it could be carved from concrete or plaster and someone would buy it "because it has a COA on it." It's just some guy's opinion telling you it's real, and that guy needs ZERO credentials at all to be able to do that.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What ever....

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
Is this eye sore still cluttering the forum? Does it even belong here? General discussion seems more fitting. I prefer show & tell.

OP
OP
Igyjastabay

Igyjastabay

May 28, 2014
The Beach SW FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No it doesn't. No No No. It doesn't increase value. Next time you sell a 5 grand artifact without a COA let me know! I have a few times. People who spend this don't need an authenticator.

OP
OP
Igyjastabay

Igyjastabay

May 28, 2014
The Beach SW FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know how these men who claim they are authenticators can sleep at night. Its a racket. Karma bites and I know.

Have you ever met some of these people? Jeez. I am sorta clean cut with an education under my belt, but jeez. These dudes are just taking your money. Most of them, with the exception of a few like Jon Dickinson and John Berner, don't even have a degree from an accredited college. I may run for president because what I read on this forum gives me hope.

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never seen the need to authenticate any artifacts.They are all personal finds.Any information I need I get from you guys and a few area archeologists. Who are always more than helpful....buying and selling is a part of this hobby I want nothing to do with.It puts the worry into a hobby that I use to get away from stress.Besides I can't afford some long distance travel to go choke my money back out of some dbag.....mjm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread