Tool ID please....

abucooche

Feb 23, 2011
CENTRAL ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
white's mxt pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am on a site that has hardly any rocks, other than flakes and arrowheads etc. I hate to assume this is something that's it's not, but it was so out of place scattered among other relics. Tell me what ya think please..... Thanks! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1454538713.059918.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1454539068.644014.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1454539125.046021.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1454539166.109669.jpg

Upvote 0

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be real hard to say just what it was used for, but the stone looks to me to have been around a fire a few times. NA used so many different stones in a site that we will never know some of their use, but you can always think this way, they didn't pack rocks to the house just to have rocks.:laughing7: Nice find Thanks for posting.:thumbsup:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find the flat pieces like that which are usually broken like yours in camps to. The ones I find are slate type of material which they didnt use for points or tools in my area cause they had flint and quartz. They did use the flat rocks for Metates but with no evidence of grinding like swirls in the stone it would really be hard to say it was used. So I leave them just put them to the edge of the field. I dont have room for rocks that might be something.

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like iron rock, (may have scientific name) but I find it broke up in the campsite I hunt and I think they ground it up for red pigment. They used in paint.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
It would be real hard to say just what it was used for, but the stone looks to me to have been around a fire a few times. NA used so many different stones in a site that we will never know some of their use, but you can always think this way, they didn't pack rocks to the house just to have rocks.:laughing7: Nice find Thanks for posting.:thumbsup:

Not trying to be argumentive, but I don't think it's so hard to tell, even though we may never know for sure.

often We find rocks that have a nicely beveled edge similar the top right photo. Bone Marrow was highly prized and large bone need to be broken to get at it. I've found several similar pieces we call bone breakers/splitters up here.

Id be interested to hear from anyone what else a fair size hand held rock with a beveled edge would be used for.

OP
OP
A

abucooche

Feb 23, 2011
CENTRAL ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
white's mxt pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not trying to be argumentive, but I don't think it's so hard to tell, even though we may never know for sure.

often We find rocks that have a nicely beveled edge similar the top right photo. Bone Marrow was highly prized and large bone need to be broken to get at it. I've found several similar pieces we call bone breakers/splitters up here.

Id be interested to hear from anyone what else a fair size hand held rock with a beveled edge would be used for.

I do agree with you quito that it had a specific purpose. I have been hunting this area almost weekly for the last 5 years and I know what rocks are customary for this location. This was so out of place and was sitting right in the middle of flakes, beads, and tons of pottery (along with tons of pieces of charcoal). but we will never know for sure, but i am keeping it! thanks again for everyone's feedback, i am still learning daily :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread