Question on Clovis points/tools

Erving

Apr 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Although I'm not an avid collector, I occasionally find a Native American artifact while metal detecting. My question is, unless you find an obvious Clovis point like the one Jason (oxbowbarefoot) found, how can you tell if it's a Clovis artifact? I've been doing a little research, and this site, for example shows different Paleo/Clovis tools. What makes them stand out as being Clovis? Thanks for any input you might have.

Clovis and Paleo points, blades, bifaces and miscellaneous artifacts from Central Texas.

Upvote 0

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Although I'm not an avid collector, I occasionally find a Native American artifact while metal detecting. My question is, unless you find an obvious Clovis point like the one Jason (oxbowbarefoot) found, how can you tell if it's a Clovis artifact? I've been doing a little research, and this site, for example shows different Paleo/Clovis tools. What makes them stand out as being Clovis? Thanks for any input you might have.

Clovis and Paleo points, blades, bifaces and miscellaneous artifacts from Central Texas.

I think much information can be gathered by associated artifacts in context. It can be challenging in a multi-component site because some tools look nearly identical from the Paleo period-Woodland period. Sometimes a solid diagnosis might not be possible, but indicators such as material utilized, flaking patterns, and proximity to known pieces can offer clues.

OP
OP
Erving

Erving

Apr 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for your reply Jason. Not that I expect to find an artifact from the Paleo period, but you never know.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for your reply Jason. Not that I expect to find an artifact from the Paleo period, but you never know.

They are certainly known to come from the area! I would closely examine any artifacts made of Normanskill chert especially. It seems to be the dominant material used by Paleo in our area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread