Are these points from different eras or a matter of preference??

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I founds these two points not far from each other in an area that has produced some good finds over the years. When I look at them I wonder way one knapper goes all out in a more defined design and the other it seems is just going with the basics in his design?. I would think both would be as effective as the other? The one on the left has sharper edges and is long, slender and thinner. The one on the right is stubby, thicker and basic. Would this be the result of the time and technics each was made or was one knapper just more concerned over the other in his workmanship? Does this speak for the tribe of each maker?. The area I found these was in the mountains accessible by several mountain passes that came from all directions in to the central part of Colorado. You would have tribes from the Rio Grande, Platte, Colorado and Arkansas rivers systems coming in to this region during the warmer seasons to enjoy and hunt the great natural resources this region. I have found mostly broken artifacts of all kinds of eras and designs in this area of Colorado. Sometimes I think there were some knappers of past that were just highly skilled and maybe even capitalized on their skills as a resource of trade, much in the way we today decide on owning a cheap fire arm vs a better built more expensive one.

Attachments

• arrowhead differences.jpg
    arrowhead differences.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Upvote 0

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey tamrock!! They appear to be totally different points, obviously, but still really nice finds!! Sorry I can't date them for you, but thanks for sharing!! Hope you're well!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The point on the left looks like an Avonlee type point.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
"When I look at them I wonder why one knapper goes all out in a more defined design and the other it seems is just going with the basics in his design?."

First comes the material, the craftsmanship is secondary to that. If you work with turdstone, you're gonna make ugly. If you work with nice flints/cherts, you're gonna make pretty. I think your images reflect one of each.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of nice looking points. I would be happy to find either, but without a doubt the one on the left is a better looking point.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I saw this great picture in a book about PNW points that addresses that. The author showed an aerial view of his house and then pointed out the location of over a dozen points he had found in about a 5 acre area surrounding it. The points were almost all different styles and materials spanning thousands of years of occupation. You have to keep in mind that Native peoples have been here for a LONG time. Think for instance of the Levant, there you will find Greek, Roman, Crusader, Persian, Egyptian, Hebrew, Canaanite, Hittite, etc, etc etc....artifacts....and ALL of them are recent compared to some of the stuff we find here.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Probably more a matter of intended function of the tool, rather than a reflection of the individuals knapping abilities. The sharp slender one on the left would have been very useful for piercing, slicing, or cutting, with not much strength for twisting of prying, whereas the one on the right side probably would have been. Both very nice artifacts and both very well made IMO. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread