image.jpg

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please post a picture of A rock that looks ANYTHING like mine. You say it's natural so please show some examples
Point out the flaking done by man.....

There are trillions of rocks shaped by mother nature that are pointed and fit in man's hand but that doesn't make them an artifact.

Last edited:

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What folks are not seeing is the flaking that is made by man, what we are seeing is what happens when stone is a natural piece from the mother source of stone. If you did not find this in a creek then it is possible that it was brought to were you found it so it could be made into something at a later date, but it shows no signs of being altered by the hands of man. That's a nice grinding stone.:thumbsup:

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I concur that your rock looks like a naturally fractured rock. If you want to do a more scientific test try to clean and cut up an animal with your rock. I think you'll be very frustrated. I can cut tough meat with all the knifes in my collection.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Please show me an example of a natural knife looking creek rock. So I'll know next time.

Umm, I hate to say it, but your piece doesn't resemble any knife I've seen.

I don't know why you would expect someone here to have something like that either.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen Third not everyone wants to see what we as longtime collectors want to see in a artifact. I am not disputing what you found yet most pieces show flaking when made. Even a spokeshave will have more definition and less girth then the piece you are displaying. It is not anyone's intention to insult you. We are here to educate and when someone wants to learn they will learn. We have all had our dream piece we found in the beginning shattered by the experienced collector!! That is as real as it gets. Everyone here started somewhere and had to learn the hard way as you are now learning. I wish you the best of luck. It does appear you are on a site so it won't be no time at all before a point shows itself to you.......GTP

OP
OP
T

TheTh3rd

Jun 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen Third not everyone wants to see what we as longtime collectors want to see in a artifact. I am not disputing what you found yet most pieces show flaking when made. Even a spokeshave will have more definition and less girth then the piece you are displaying. It is not anyone's intention to insult you. We are here to educate and when someone wants to learn they will learn. We have all had our dream piece we found in the beginning shattered by the experienced collector!! That is as real as it gets. Everyone here started somewhere and had to learn the hard way as you are now learning. I wish you the best of luck. It does appear you are on a site so it won't be no time at all before a point shows itself to you.......GTP

I appreciate that. And i am not insulted at all I promise. I hope I don't come across that way. Once I cleaned the "knife" I thought the flaking style was weak, and although attractive material,it's not the best so I agree with you all on that....... but it gets the job done if need be especially the base.
It was definitely handled and transported by man.... It Might not be man made, but if it was I think it was a VERY early man due to the elementary knapping style on a very attractive rock.... Something very common with early man.

So please look at my finds from today, they might not be as early as I think but they are pretty primitive... Especially the bottom pebble tools. I'm not a conspiracy theorist or a religious nut but I studied religious history and anthropology in college and I strongly believe humans inhabited N.America before Clovis and I don't agree with the land bridge migration theory. I would like to hear some of yalls views on who and how the first people came to the U.S.

With that said, I think my "knife" is a genuine artifact and the finds from today only add to it.

Right of the dime/2nd row resemble Levallois flakes and early points.

Top row is the same material as the "knife"

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best test would be to cut up a deer with it. If that works I bet its real.

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
I don't really agree with the "use your rock to cut up a deer then it must be real" theory. When flint breaks naturally or by the " hand of man" it does so in such a way that it leaves pieces with sharp edges that will cut. I find all kinds of hunks of chert in my creeks that if I so desired could be used to hack up a deer but show absolutely no sign of intelligent design in the form of knapping.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though you dont see any water now there would of been water back when the NA people were there might of been a natural spring that has since dried up or even a winter creek that didnt flow in the summer. Every human needed water and wouldnt camp in a place that didnt have water. I have fields that I hunt that are dry as a bone today but show natural flint cobbles in spots today that at one time had water many years ago. Flint usually grows in water from what I have seen in my area. I look for these places when out to see if there are signs of worked cobbles and if I find any then I know there are a chance of finding a completed piece. So keep looking just trying to help you in your search. You have found some nice pieces that you have posted in other threads. It is easy to find all of the good ones if they didnt camp long in that spot. If it was a long time camp you should find pottery, no pottery means they didnt stay long if it is a Woodland to Mississippian site.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate that. And i am not insulted at all I promise. I hope I don't come across that way. Once I cleaned the "knife" I thought the flaking style was weak, and although attractive material,it's not the best so I agree with you all on that....... but it gets the job done if need be especially the base.
It was definitely handled and transported by man.... It Might not be man made, but if it was I think it was a VERY early man due to the elementary knapping style on a very attractive rock.... Something very common with early man.

So please look at my finds from today, they might not be as early as I think but they are pretty primitive... Especially the bottom pebble tools. I'm not a conspiracy theorist or a religious nut but I studied religious history and anthropology in college and I strongly believe humans inhabited N.America before Clovis and I don't agree with the land bridge migration theory. I would like to hear some of yalls views on who and how the first people came to the U.S.

With that said, I think my "knife" is a genuine artifact and the finds from today only add to it.

Right of the dime/2nd row resemble Levallois flakes and early points.

Top row is the same material as the "knife"

View attachment 1301070
View attachment 1301071
View attachment 1301072

Sorry, not seeing anything in pictures that suggest they were worked by man or are artifacts........

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the deer method is clearly the best way to be sure. Why spend all the money sending it off to be graded only to find out its natural? It doesn't cost a thing to carry this in your car and wait till you see a good sized road killed deer.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From my observance your initial item does not appear to have been utilized as a tool/knife. It may have been spalled off from a core, but I sincerely do not believe it was used as a knife. As archer66 commented, you may find a lot of flaked or spalled material that looks like it may have the looks like it would be ideal in using as a tool, but looks can and are deceiving. Wishing you better luck in your future hunts.

I don't really agree with the "use your rock to cut up a deer then it must be real" theory. When flint breaks naturally or by the " hand of man" it does so in such a way that it leaves pieces with sharp edges that will cut. I find all kinds of hunks of chert in my creeks that if I so desired could be used to hack up a deer but show absolutely no sign of intelligent design in the form of knapping.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not seeing any artifacts In your pics .... And if you were on a site that everything your picking up you think is man made don't you think you would come across atleast one point or knife that has the proper flaking and design. Most artifacts I find I'm amazed at the craftsmanship and skill evident by looks alone.

OP
OP
T

TheTh3rd

Jun 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not seeing any artifacts In your pics .... And if you were on a site that everything your picking up you think is man made don't you think you would come across atleast one point or knife that has the proper flaking and design. Most artifacts I find I'm amazed at the craftsmanship and skill evident by looks alone.

Did you even look at the pictures?

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea several times .... Looks like some could have possibly been cores that the separated rock would have been made into something but even that is a reach. They look like the result of large rocks falling from above or natural shattered rocks.

OP
OP
T

TheTh3rd

Jun 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea several times .... Looks like some could have possibly been cores that the separated rock would have been made into something but even that is a reach. They look like the result of large rocks falling from above or natural shattered rocks.

Oh ok, thanks

OP
OP
T

TheTh3rd

Jun 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all do respect I disagree. Please post a picture of something vaguely similar.

These were found today, same spot.

View attachment 1300507

Rock, I'm not in or near a creek. And top row are all dry and grainy, and the first 2 are from the same type rock as the "knife"

View attachment 1300506

If you looked over them several times, how did you miss an obvious artifact in this 2nd pic. I'm very curious.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though you dont see any water now there would of been water back when the NA people were there might of been a natural spring that has since dried up or even a winter creek that didnt flow in the summer. Every human needed water and wouldnt camp in a place that didnt have water. I have fields that I hunt that are dry as a bone today but show natural flint cobbles in spots today that at one time had water many years ago. Flint usually grows in water from what I have seen in my area. I look for these places when out to see if there are signs of worked cobbles and if I find any then I know there are a chance of finding a completed piece. So keep looking just trying to help you in your search. You have found some nice pieces that you have posted in other threads. It is easy to find all of the good ones if they didnt camp long in that spot. If it was a long time camp you should find pottery, no pottery means they didnt stay long if it is a Woodland to Mississippian site.

I hope you read this it was free learning for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread