monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First let me say I'm glad that folks that are new to this hobby have joined and for a plug for this site become a full member. 2nd I have made other post like this before like Points for Newbies so go back and look for them. Sitting at home taken care of the wife after an operation and thought I would post this. 1st is learning what is worked stone and natural broken stone. This 1st and 2nd photo is of a natural broken rock. newbie points on interst 011.JPG newbie points on interst 012.JPG . The next photo if you picked it up from the 1st view you would think it's just a rock, but when you turn it over you see the pattern that knapping makes. newbie points on interst 013.JPG newbie points on interst 014.JPG This next photo is just a bag of stone scrapers I had in my office(I have buckets full) You can see they are flaked all the way around and most were made for a one time use or to be used for a short period of time. newbie points on interst 006.JPG Now every now an then you will find a tool that has a wear pattern just jump out at you, like this scraper. newbie points on interst 009.JPG It took a lot of use to get this shine on the blade end of this tool. This was not put there by water flow or heating the stone it took a many a stroke to get this type of use wear on a thumb scraper. Next hammers stones will always have the sign of the constant impact on a end or all over. This next photo will show that and before anyone say's it those are plow marks on that one small hammer stone. newbie points on interst 001.JPG One more thing just because you find a item in a field or creek, on a hill or on a mound, it does not mean it is a 100% artifact. Only when you find something in contex and that means only if you dig and find items like artifacts in the same layer of occupation can you say that it was used or put there at that time period by those people. look back on some of my old post and I hope they may help you in some way.

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your a good teacher, thanks for the info

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
your scrapers are better than most my points!

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have run across a few hammer stones. Knapping with these would be an incredible skill. Thanks for the great information!

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So are the scrapers always flaked all the way around?

Most of the time yes but there are all different styles of scrappers, some were made in a hurry for a one time use. Do a little reading on them and you will see what I mean. Start by looking up Native American stone tools.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread