Inceridle find

Crowfriend

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find

Once in a lifetime. It's still there. Would you take it?
DSC_0276 small.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok... I tapped out on this thread, probably because either I had an unfavorable view of the circumstances, or because Native American swag isn't my thing, never has been....but something else is bothering me.
It's been suggested that this could be a jpeg stock photo, as well as a beautiful picture...Hmmm....
So, it seems to me that this picture isn't the only one, couldn't be. Nobody takes one picture, and it comes out looking like a Nat Geo pic...show me other pics, other angles, pics that weren't up to snuff to start this thread with.
I know I am walking a fine line here, just suggesting other pics so that we can see and appreciate this for what it is....

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok... I tapped out on this thread, probably because either I had an unfavorable view of the circumstances, or because Native American swag isn't my thing, never has been....but something else is bothering me.
It's been suggested that this could be a jpeg stock photo, as well as a beautiful picture...Hmmm....
So, it seems to me that this picture isn't the only one, couldn't be. Nobody takes one picture, and it comes out looking like a Nat Geo pic...show me other pics, other angles, pics that weren't up to snuff to start this thread with.
I know I am walking a fine line here, just suggesting other pics so that we can see and appreciate this for what it is....

I agree with you Dave, let's see more pictures. I know I would have taken lots more pics. The picture seems....just too perfect!!

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd smash it open and peek inside. Could be gold inside! >:D

OP
OP
C

Crowfriend

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you woodsman1981 for the wonderful reply. I greatly appreciate your sentiments.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Crowfriend

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Setting aside the ethics and legalities, I have to say that the photograph itself is quite striking and beautiful.

On a certain level I'd be tempted to leave it as-is just to preserve the setting that it has sat in for a thousand years. In a way, to remove it and clean it up would reduce it from something slightly magical to an ordinary object. Regardless of what happens to it, you've captured the moment with some excellent photography.

Thank you for the kind words.

OP
OP
C

Crowfriend

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you Dave, let's see more pictures. I know I would have taken lots more pics. The picture seems....just too perfect!!

It is a perfect little picture.

OP
OP
C

Crowfriend

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not a stock photo.

OP
OP
C

Crowfriend

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am glad you found it. Some pieces are meant to be found by someone educated enough to learn from it. You would make a fine host, Your intentions seem solid, your karma should be fine. Thank you for sharing a photo of it. Some university would not post it on here for anyone interested. I hope you can find more information to share about this piece

I have been through several incredibly bad experiences that has left me wondering what sort of karma has been invoked. Thank you

OP
OP
C

Crowfriend

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when you read some of these posts it seems a few people hold the mistaken view that "Native American" culture was some sort of continent wide experience. Nothing could be further than the truth, customs, beliefs, languages etc were as varied as any place in the world. The photo appears to be a "stock" jpeg, and yes perhaps the poster lived with a "Crow" for 4 years but that pot wasn't found within a thousand miles of Crow country. Knowing a few Crow anecdotes pretty much does not make anyone qualified to speak about "juju" or other such nonsense.

The crow I lived with had feathers, sorry for the confusion. Interestingly, keeping a crow is illegal in Arizona. The question of "Juju" comes from death of loved ones, makes a person wonder about such things.

Triumph

Oct 7, 2016
Carolinas
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm confused about the reverence of tools, points, pottery ect. It's not like most of us are grave diggers we are not digging burial mounds.

I would be proud when I'm dead and gone that my tools, things that I have made would be admired by someone in the future.

Certainly many private collections have given many of us admiration of the Indian culture and remarkable ingenuity and perseverance it took to survive and thrive in difficult times. If you could help me understand why collecting tools of the culture is disrespectful to the native Americans I would appreciate it. To me they are not spiritual they are just tools or things of little importance to the individual that made them. This is apparent to me when I find what I would call trash pits broken pottery, Broken points bones ect.
When I find something I often think these are beautiful items and the creator of them would be pleased that I am admiring their work.
Of course I would never sell anything I find, I do not do it for the money, obviously some do but that is not my interest and never will be.

The felony for finding these items seams really harsh to me but maybe it's because I don't understand from the native Americans viewpoint.

Thank you for a very thought provoking post!

Buy the way I would have taken it and showed it to many people as possible and been in AWE of the individual that created it!
Only if it was on my property.

Last edited:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...at the very least it would be well taken care of in a museum

Please folks, don't believe that just because it's in a museum that it's taken care of. There are world class artifacts in some museums in abysmal storage conditions where pottery in particular is actually deteriorating. Many times, collectors tend to take better care of their artifacts than some museums. And I said "some", not all. Another thing to consider is that many museums have so much material that they don't have the space to properly display donated items, or as is the case with museums funded by or subsidized with tax dollars, the really good stuff is kept in storage and can be viewed only by a privileged few (not us commoners, for sure).

Also, burial associations aside, that have deep spiritual attachment to the descendants whether native American, or any other ethnic or racial group and should indeed be left the hell alone, how are everyday utilitarian items made by Native Americans any different from a Crawford County jug or a piece of CorningWare?

Last edited:

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super cool find dude. Thanks for sharing It should be saved one way or another.

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pilfer shmilfer.
Laws passed under the guise of hoodwinkery, and broken promises. If they cared they'd give the land back ta boot.

Totally agree. The "laws" are nothing more than cheap lip service to Native Americans (of which is in my heritage.)
"Hey our ancestors took everything from you, and that sucks, so, by golly if we see an artifact on OUR land we won't touch it. Are we good?"

Case in point; new housing development in my area.. A a study was done with a conclusion that the area is an ancient burial ground. (obsidian knives, rock shelter, stone patterns....)
The outcome? Pffftt... level the place and build, these are million dollar homes we are talking about here.

I am a realist and know that all civilizations build over the previous. But as Brian55 said this is all just hoodwinkery and bs propaganda meant to somehow appease the Native Americans. Save the history !

If anything the law should be any artifacts on public land can be collected and given to the nearest reservation Indians for them to enjoy. Two cents.

Last edited:

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Originally you said it was an Apache pot(?). I think the Crow thing just came from your user ID.
And as you said, it was a utilitarian piece. Not ceremonial.
If it were me, I would find the nearest Apache reservation, ask to speak to the Chief, or counsel, and tell them about it.
Let it be their decision. It is part of their history.
(Then, of course, I would expect to be "adopted" into the Apache tribe...:headbang:)

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! that is an incredible find. If I found such a find I would surely keep it from nature and it's basic destructive deterioration. My wife grew up next to the Crow reservation and believes that if there is any association with a human burial it should be left alone. But if it was left there as a stash for storing food, there would be no harm in keeping it. I certainly do not believe in such ''joojoo'', Things in this life happen with or without our influence.

Exactly

dump_digger

Dec 22, 2016
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's prizm 950
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If I found that it would so be in my house right now. It's a beautiful pot. What makes you think it's "re-purposed Apache?" Considering the color, design, and that you said it was found in Arizona, I would guess it to be Hopi.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread